Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Pioneer sc-37 optical digital output. I do not see any red

Customer Question

Pioneer sc-37 optical digital output. I do not see any red led on the sc-37 optical digital out. Is their a setting to activate?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Try connecting a source of audio. The indicator may not switch On until there *is* audio to route to the Digital Optical Output. It probably is just an indicator light for 'live' signal, like an equalizer bar. Besides that, the digital optical outputs cannot be much else than what they are: optical outputs, perforce digital also. So why would they be switched Off?If the digital audio output light shows no sign of life after you put audio through the device, that could be a different case, of course.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not an indicator light, this is the internal led that is the optical part of optical digital outs. Most devices that have an optical out have this always on.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Oh - do you mean that the light is not an indicator, but rather the 'carrier' light? or, the one you see when you look into the connector? (which could be slightly dangerous to your eyesight, so I don't recommend it.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the carrier light.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
That could be a sign of something wrong.
Try applying input to the device, from any audio source, and see if that switches the 'carrier light' on.
If it doesn't, did it work before? and how new is the device?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russel,Thanks for trying, but it's clear to me that you have no familiarity with this product. I would have hoped that before accepting the gig that you would be somewhat familiar with the line.I don't troll, and was just taking a chance on this service.I bear no ill will and will not post anything negative re our transaction.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
That's a very laudable attitude - I only did what I could with the knowledge I've got (including some experience with fiber-optic transceivers and so forth. Where an optical transceiver is concerned, having the 'carrier' light go out altogether, implies the transceiver is defective, and in your case having the carrier light never come on, almost surely signifies the device is 'broken', unfortunately. I was seeking some other interpretation, but it seems to me at this point that your device will need repair-servicing. If you approve, and will let me know your zip code or local town/city and state, I will research nearby repair firms or other locations where it might be serviced. I have also Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category. Thank you for your patience, and for bringing your question to use here at JustAnswer.com.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, have you tried a RESET of the Pioneer? the same with all the assignable inputs and the output optical ports?
Still, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects after a review of the Service Manual are:
• cold solder and/or detached pins (least likely);
• failed DAC circuitry (likely);
• low or missing +5V_D supply to the optical ports(most likely).
The above would require that the unit be opened up for visual/mechanical inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.
I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.
Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multimeter and even a soldering iron?
Equally important, could you make use of the repair/Service Manual or at the very least, the schematic diagrams?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really folks, if you are not familiar with this specific receiver you're just throwing darts at the wall. As an aside...Pioneer support wwas of no use either. I finally found one sentence in the manual that implies that analog sources will not output from the digital out. Thanks all for trying.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
Good to hear that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.