Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Harmon kardon home theater system. All of a sudden

Customer Question

I have a Harmon kardon home theater system. All of a sudden I have to insert a DVDs 10 to 15 times for it to start reading. It just keeps ejecting. Do the heads need cleaning? What head cleaner is recommended?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The issue you're having is due to the laser lens being either contaminated (dirty), or faulty (scratched or mis-aligned). Follow the steps below to determine and attempt to cure the issue.You can try several methods of cleaning the laser lens to see if it helps clear up the problem. The first is to purchase a CD/DVD laser lens cleaner disc (any Laser Lens cleaner available at Best Buy, WalMart or Radio Shack will work), and run it through the system several times. A suitable cleaner is also available at the link below for purchase: http://www.walmart.com/ip/10135729?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227009965750&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40330354592&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=58516552254&veh=sem If your player is not reading any discs at all though, then try purchasing a can of compressed air (available at PC or AV retailers). Open the CD cover, then spray the can approximately 10" from the lens to blow any dust off of it.If it still doesn't work, you can opt to clean the lens eye itself, by using isopropyl alcohol, and a lint-free cloth to gently wipe the "eye". Then use a dry spot on the cloth to buff the eye clean. If the CD player is still not reading discs, then the lens or transport mechanism is faulty and would need to be replaced- which is on average a $200 repair, and not typically cost effective. If you need further assistance let me know. NOTE: Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to see my reply?