Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Got a new Cable box from Comcast and can't hook up home th

Customer Question

Got a new Cable box from Comcast and can't hook up home theater
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, In order to help, I need more info:
1) What's the model of the Denon?
2) How was the old box connected to it?
3) How is the new box connected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Denon AVR - 590
Brand new X1
HDMI to Sony Bravia
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
How about, how was the old one connected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't remember
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay no problem. I was just checking your Denon and it does not have HDMI, so I understand the issue. Can you please check the back of your cable box and let me know if it has a jack labeled "Optical", or "Digital Audio Out"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you usually suggest for a hookup of the three devices?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does have 2 HDMI ports
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please read the above post- as that is where I'm heading.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The HDMI ports aren't what we need right now. Please get me the Make and Model Number off of the front of your Cable Box (for example: Explorer 8300HD, etc.).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from yo. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please just reply back to the Info Requests so we can sort this. Thank you.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please get me the Make and Model Number off of the front of your Cable Box (for example: Explorer 8300HD, etc.).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
arris mx011anm
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Look on the back of the box for a jack labeled "Optical". Let me know if you find it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Optical for sound?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes Optical is for sound. Do you see this jack on the back of the box- yes, or no please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
East, usb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Esat, sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry- I have to keep running downstairs to answer you
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, you're not going to be able to connect this box to your Denon- since it doesn't have any audio out jacks. What you need to do is run an Optical cable from the back of the TV to the Denon's Optical 1 jack, then go into the TV's MENU and shut off the internal speakers. This is how the sound will transmit to the receiver. The cable you will need to purchase for this is available at Radio Shack, Best Buy or at the link below: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=6270&catargetid=320013720000066114&cadevice=c&kpid=106270&gclid=CjwKEAjwwZmsBRDOh7C6rKO8zkcSJABCusnbOLt4wUm1e4etU5lqTkOzEtWBi2OcSGp7SQAv4li0HhoCPbfw_wcB
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
So, in this setup- the sound runs THROUGH the TV- and then out to the Denon via the Optical cable- giving you the sound from the cable box via the Denon's connected speakers. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Internal speakers are already shut off. If it wored before with HDMI, why not now? I'm confused
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Worked
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I don't know- you told me you didn't know how the old box was hooked up. That's why I asked you that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought you meant to devices. I don't remember which one but it was hooked up via HDMI
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it came out from Denon but can't remember where it went
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Your Denon needs an optical cable to the TV to get sound- that's how it works. Since I don't know details about how this was connected previously, I will opt out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but I told you HDMI connection
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, but your Denon doesn't playback sound from HDMI connections, and I told you what needs to be done.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
So, your other cable box had another connection to the receiver that you're missing- which would be the optical and since your new box has no audio connections, you need to run that optical from the TV to the Denon. That is how you will get sound.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Once you have the optical audio running from the TV to the Denon, if there's still no sound, then simply reboot the cable box by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in.