Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Marantz zr6001 has barely any volume, even in Tuner mode

Customer Question

Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the requested question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, any error message displayed?Still, proposed preliminary checks (if have not been tried) :• PURE DIRECT mode;• plug in a pair of headphones;• determine if a subwoofer connected to the PRE OUT SW works normally; and• if connecting the PRE OUT L & R jacks to another amp + speaker has an output.Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3rd and 4th are not applicable
trying to find a headphone adapter, all modern are mini, not 1/4But why will the receiver's volume control not turn up past -60? Just reverts back to -63 then scrolls down to -60 then pops back to -63
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried headphones, got the same result. VERY faint sound using tuner, or any other source. Volume control will not take the level up above -70. Why would the volume control not respond like that?????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the additional information.That "...volume control not turn up past -60?..."; using the rotary front panel control? ...could the volume level be increased using the remote control?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Using the control on the front, no longer have the remote
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand.The described symptom and after a review of the Service Manual would point to a failed rotary encoder as the most likely suspect. This rotary encoder serves as the volume control. This particular model uses a pulse type encoder rather than the conventional variable potentiometer.Cleaning can be tried as a hopeful workaround (albeit likely temporary) using plastic safe / non-staining DeoxIT DN5 or LPS 03116 Contact Cleaner or equivalent.The prescribed approach however is to replace.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THAT sounds expensive! I wonder if I should buy a "universal remote" and try to see if I can change the volume with it.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Doubtful that the rotary encoder would be expensive though the source and installation may be of a challenge.Rather than a universal, consider remotes offered HERE and HERE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I de-installed it from my AV set-up and replaced it with an older Technics receiver. So I atleast have sound now. So I went to the garage, wired up a couple other speakers, plugged in the power cord..... heard a "CLICK" from inside and then could get no response from the Power switch. Repeated numerous times. Looks like I now own a large brick.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Is the Marantz now completely / electrically dead? ...checked the fuse(s) inside?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will later....the value of the time that I have put in on this beast now far exceeds the cost of a replacement receiver....plus the modern ones have HDMI and BlueTooth. Thanks for trying tho.....
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.This is not an Info Request.