Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have a Yamaha RX-V673 5.1 Receiver. I want to hook up just

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha RX-V673 5.1 Receiver. I want to hook up just the front 2 speakers along with a center speaker to enhance what a sound -bar would give you. I connected the stereo speakers to the "front" L and R. I get NO POWER to these speakers. What am I doing wrong????
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Are you trying to use a sound bar in addition to the yamaha?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Like I said, all I want to do is use 2 bookshelf speakers with a center speaker to make a BETTER sound bar. I have the Yamaha receiver so I'd like to use it. I hooked the speakers to the front jacks and get no power to them.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Have you tested all sources/inputs? If not, please check the internal tuner (fm radio - make sure antenna is connected and you are tuned to a channel that you know should easily be picked up where you are located). Can you send me a photo of the connections on the back of the yamaha so I can make sure they are correct? A photo of the front panel display would be helpful as well so I can check a few settings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nathan,
All I want to do is connect 2 bookshelf speakers to the receiver--- period. I hooked them up to the " front speaker jacks". There is no power to them. We just used this receiver with a full surround system and it was fine.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you are wanting to do. There are a lot of variables here and many things that need to be checked. You could have the speakers hooked up wrong, you could have a faulty source/input, some incorrect settings, or a problem with the yamaha. For me to be able to help you, I need the answers/details I've requested. There isn't just one magic button to press, I have to gather information and have you try various steps to reach a solution.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking in to see if you still need help with this.
A few initial steps to check are to make sure you have the speakers connected properly, each speaker needs one red and one black terminal (in a vertical row, labeled as front left/front right. If you have one speaker with red/red and the other black/black, that won't work.
Once you have that done it would also be helpful to connect the ypao setup microphone that came with the system and run through the speaker auto setup function in the menu (it should start automatically) to see if you get test tones through to the speakers. This would help to rule out a wiring fault or hardware problem.
Let me know the results, when you have a chance,
Nahtan