Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I recently purchased a pair of vintage Khorns, approximately

Customer Question

I recently purchased a pair of vintage Khorns, approximately from 1963. One speaker plays fine while the other has little to no high frequencies. I switched the K55 drivers from one speaker to another. Both K55 drivers work fine in the one speaker, while not working in the other. Respective drivers from one speaker have the same impedance as the drivers in the other speaker. I've swapped out amps and cables. I've also reversed pre-amp to amp connections for left to right and change output connections on preamp. Loosened and retightened all internal wire connections on both speakers. When speakers are disconnected from amps, both speakers have the same impedance at the main terminals. Everything looks original, including the cross-overs and capacitors. I do not know how to check cross-overs or capacitors. One speaker sounds fine while the other has no high frequencies. Pre-amp is Conrad Johnson PV8. Amps are MV60SE factory monoblocks. Hoping you can help.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, can you please post back clear closeup pictures of the "...cross-overs and capacitors..." including the wiring. Click HERE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies, not in position to take images of crossovers inside of speakers.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand though that would be the only way for me to see what you are seeing. Still, think of the cross-over as a splitter (of sorts). As it implies, it splits the single input from the amplifier and feeds 2 or 3 different speakers. Since the speakers are designed for a specific range of frequency, the cross-over then must split the audio into 2 or 3 frequency range; say the lows, the mids and the highs. The lows are sounded off by the woofers, the mids by the midrange and the highs by the tweeters.Have you tried checking the cross-over for any leaky, bloated or cracked capacitors? ...open resistors/coils? ...or even a cold solder?