Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have a speaker system. Altec Lansing ACS 31. I moved and

Customer Question

I have a speaker system. Altec Lansing ACS 31. I moved and it was disconnected, wires and all. Now I want to reconnect it but don't have a wiring diagram. I have tried to 'wing it' but I am coming up short. Any suggestions? The Altec Lansing site is no help at all.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, is there an ON power indicator at 1 of the satellite speakers? And to what device is the ACS 31 being connected to please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are five connectors on the back of the speaker that has the power switch. Connector 1 is power, 2 is connected to the Sub woofer with the power cord, 3 is to the other speaker, 4 is empty, 5 is to the PC.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
A review / please re-check...At the back of the satellite speaker with controls: • leftmost would be to the AC power adapter;• next would connect to the big subwoofer;• then the middle would be to the other satellite speaker;• and lastly, either 1-INPUT or INPUT-2 to the green jack of the laptop/computer or even to a headphone jack of an MP3 player or cellphone.Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I have. The subwoofer is not playing nor is the left speaker (Not the on off switch speaker).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I take that back. The subwoofer is working if I turn up the separate volume on it. THe Non control small speaker is not working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked all connections and they are tight.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Can you try wiggling the 3.5mm plug of the non-control satellite speaker? And do you have access to a multi-meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No multimeter. Would that tell me a signal is coming through the wire? I wiggled both the 3.5 MM plug on the speaker and the output on the PC. NO luck.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that would test the non-control satellite speaker. How about a single 1.4 AA or AAA battery and 2 short lengths of electrical wire?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Any update(s)?
The battery would serve as a test for the non-control satellite speaker. Using short lengths of wires momentarily touch the 3.5mm plug pins to the battery terminals. If speaker is good, then there would be a clicking sound.