Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Hey Nathan, maybe you can help me resolve an issue. I have

Customer Question

Hey Nathan, maybe you can help me resolve an issue. I have a pionner vsx 524 receiver. I just swapped out my old one and purchased another one with more hdmi ports. I have sound playing on my theather and blue ray but no picture. I'm thinking it must be the HDMI cord
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Are you sure the tv is set to the proper input mode/port?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have HDMI in going from the cable box and blu ray player into the pioneer receiver and from the receiver out to the projector.

I have sound from both the cable box and blu ray but no picture.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
If you connect something (cable/dvd) directly to the projector, can you get a picture that way? Just want to make sure the projector itself is functional.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, I ran the hdmi cable directly from the cable box to projector and i receive a picture.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Is that the same cord that had been previously used between the pioneer and the projector?What model is the projector?Were you ever able to see anything from the pioneer, such as the pioneer on screen setup menu, or the volume level indicator?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

same cord, only swapped out the pioneer receiver for a newer model. The projector is Optoma. I could not see the set up menu on the projector screen. I set up the receiver using the words on the receiver screen

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
What model is the optoma?Is the pioneer a new (or used) model? Is it possible, even just temporarily, to test the pioneer directly to another display, such as a tv?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

brand new from best buy. Yes, let me try to run it to my tv. give me 2 min

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. That will just help us to isolate the cause a bit more. There are a lot of variables here, even the possibility that the pioneer is faulty out of the box (not highly common, but it does happen)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ran to the television and again i have sound but no picture. I thinking it could be the receiver.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
I would agree at that point then. By default the receiver should be outputting hdmi directly with no restrictions. We can try a factory reset of the receiver though, just to be safe.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do you reset a receiver

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
1 Switch the receiver into standby. 2 While holding down BAND, press and hold STANDBY/ON for about two seconds. 3 When you see RESET? appear in the display, press AUTO SURROUND/STREAM DIRECT. OK? shows in the display. 4 Press ALC/STANDARD SURR to confirm. OK appears in the display to indicate that the receiver has been reset to the factory default settings.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
If that still doesn't help, take it back to best buy and have them exchange it for a new one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help; I reconnected my old receiver and I got video on the blu ray and television. So, either the new receiver is not programmed correctly or its a bad receiver. I had both sitting side by side and tried several times on each receiver. The old one gave me video and the new one did not.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
It is very unlikely that the new one has a wrong setting. They are set up for hdmi connections by default, and you really can't disable hdmi output, if you're using hdmi inputs. By doing the reset, we put all the settings back to the factory defaults, so after that if hdmi still didn't work, it wouldn't be a setting issue, but a hardware problem.