Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Why does my Klipsch SW-10 not go into standby after 20 or so

Customer Question

Why does my Klipsch SW-10 not go into standby after 20 or so mins of no activity? The green power light stays on constantly. My SW-12 in the front of the same room goes off after about 20 mins of no activity
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, is this a fresh/new install? ...or has the Klipsch SW-10 been in use for some time and this observed symptom a recent issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced an 8" older Klipsch sub with this SW-10 today. The old 8" was doing the same thing, both at the front room plug in and then the back of the room plug in. The SW-12 responds flawlessly in the standby mode (light out after about 20 mins of no activity).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and by the way, I have tried two different sub cables with same results on both the old 8" and the brand new SW-10.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
It would appear that the 8 & 10 would have the same specs except for speaker diameter and power output. The 12 & 15 uses an entirely different circuit. Let me check the schematics ? Service manuals and post a bit later for more info.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sounds good....I just don't want to burn it up with it staying on all the time. That's why I put it in auto mode! LOL
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
The 8 & 10 shares the same circuit except for speaker diameter and power output/watts. However, the 12 & 15 uses an entirely different circuit. With your indulgence, let me review the schematics to be able to compare technical features. Would post a bit later for findings.Would this be acceptable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Thanks; later then. Cheers.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and apologies for the delay. By design and unlike the SW-12 and SW-15 (particularly of latter models), the SW-10 (and SW-8) does not have a built-in Auto On/Off; i.e. a system that sense when music or a soundtrack is present and automatically turns the power on and it will wait a few minutes after the end of the music to shut off. I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news. A possible workaround is to plug the SW-10's AC power cord to a switched outlet of a receiver that will turn on the SW-10 when the receiver is turned on and off when the receiver is off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to prematurely burn it out!
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Though plugged in and always on, the power consumption is directly proportionate to the sound level hence if no signal is present, then the SW-10 would be operating at its "idling" mode/lowest power. "...prematurely burn it out..." would be dependent on how loud and for how long.