Aric, Engineer
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience setting up and troubleshooting Home Theater-Stereo systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

I have a Sony trinitron wega 34xBr970. Weve been receiving

I have a Sony trinitron wega 34xBr970. We've been receiving std def cable until this week. We just got a new HD cable box. I did the connections as diagrammed in the wiring diagram, but the TV screen is static and says "no signal". Comcast remote tech support says the box is good. Can the HDMI cable be faulty? Can the input connector on the TV be faulty? Comcast said to be sure the TV is on HD mode, but I cannot find a way to do that. Help!

Thanks, XXXXX
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the question. Do you have the Sony remote handy? If so can you find a button labeled tv/video , or input?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

There are multiple TV DVD VCR Cable buttons

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Specifically you want to find a button labeled either tv/video or input.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

there is a TV/video button. I can use it to scroll through 6 video channels. The HDMI input is labelled "6" on the back of the TV

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Okay so you're plugged into input 6 on the TV, and you've selected the Input 6 using the video button?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yes. The screen goes from static to black with "video 6" in the upper left corner. The "enter"button does not do anything.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

When I press the TV/Video button, it scrolls through the other video selections and back to channel 3

When I am on video 6 the enter button does nothing and there is no other way to select it that I can see

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. If the screen says Video 6 in the corner, then you are on the correct Input and do not need to press Enter or anything else. The reason you're not getting a signal, is because this TV predates true 1080P HD via HDMI. This TV can only output signals up to 720P, and to do this, you would need to do one of two things. Either use the Component Video jacks on the back of the cable box, or go into the cable box video output settings (cable company would have to guide you through this), and select a lower resolution.
Aric, Engineer
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience setting up and troubleshooting Home Theater-Stereo systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.