Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.

I have M3D42 (not sure OSR or 1SR). Indicates it is ARC capable.

I have M3D42 (not sure OSR or 1SR). Indicates it is ARC capable. I am trying to hook up to Yamaha RX-673 receiver. Have HDMI Out from receiver to to Vizio HDMI1 (which I understand to be ARC and thus not need for digital optic cable). I cannot seem to run TV sound through receiver, and thus SS speaker system. Any help?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Let's check the details.

HDMI 1 on your TV is the only one that supports ARC. That must be plugged into the Yamaha HDMI output. This is the physical connection.

On your Yamaha, since you said you adjusted the settings, we'll skip that for now, and go onto your TV settings.

Go into the menu, and go to the advanced audio settings. Go to audio control. This is the part that isn't even listed in the menu. What can you change that to? If you see ARC, definitely set it to that. The other setting in here is digital audio out. PCM and Dolby are 2 different types of signals. Switch between the 2 and let me know if you're able to get sound from one of the settings.

With this stuff done, please tell me the results, and I'll have gathered enough information to pinpoint the problem.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Okay. I had my cable box hooked to Viz HDMI 1 before I got Yamaha and that worked. If I change the Viz H-1 to the receiver, how do I connect the cable box. I cn't really check the sound unless the cable id working with TV.

Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.
Since you're using ARC, you can switch between any input, and it sends the audio through HDMI 1 to your Yamaha receiver. Connect the cable box to the TV like it was, switch to the input where you see the cable TV, and that audio will be sent to Yamaha.

I recommend connecting your cable box to HDMI 2, and connect HDMI 1 to Yamaha HDMI out. When you watch HDMI 2, it will send the audio signal to your receiver.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Okay. I have H-1 from vizio to Yamaha H-out. and I have cable to vizio H-2. It is working (just need to adjust picture I think). However, still no sound to yamaha/ss speakers. Yamaha display indicates H-2 and is blinking lttle red "HDMI out" which I think means it is working. Since I switched the h cables, I canot get back to TV advanced audiio settings to verify...I just get "Find Channels".

Frustrated...what next?

Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.
Is the setting in your TV set to PCM or Dolby? The listening modes must match, and the surround speakers won't work on PCM, only Dolby. PCM will send to the front speakers only.

Let's double check the Yamaha menu. In your input menu, set TV to ARC. This way when you select TV (Cbl/Sat) it will listen to ARC. That will bring up a decoder mode, since it's a digital signal. Set it to DTS, and make sure your TV matches (It should say Dolby, digital, DTS, etc... Just switch it off of PCM).

Select the cbl/sat input on your receiver, TV on HDMI 2, and you should hear sound from the surround speakers.

If you do not hear sound from the ss speakers, please tell me which speakers you hear sound from.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I believe in Yamaha menu tv is set to Arc. the selection for TV audio input (same menu as where Arc setting is) allows for AV1-6, Audio 1 and 2; it is set on Audio 1.

TV is set to H-2

Yamaha set for H-1

Sound is out of TV.

Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.
Ok, since the sound is out of the TV, that tells me it's in the TV menu. Go to the audio menu, and turn the TV speakers off. Do you see anything in that menu that says ARC?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Turned tv speakers off. Did not see anything re: ARC. Now there is no sound. Receiver display still indicates H-1 input.

Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.
Ok, look in the display. Do you see PCM, DTS or Auto? In your audio input menu, is the input still set to arc?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Through Vizio menu . Advanced Audio > Digital Audio Out is now set to PCM; Audio Control set to External.

Through Vizio menu, TV settings > input source = Cable.

Through Receiver menu, ARC is On; TV Audio Input is Audio 1.

TV Speakers on or off is making no difference.

Sound continues to be only out of TV.

Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.
Ok, I'm concerned about the input being audio 1. Look at the back of the receiver. Notice audio 1 and 2 on the bottom? That's where it's looking for the audio, not from ARC. Go back into your receiver's menu, and tell me the choices you have for the TV audio input.

If you don't see ARC, plug your cable box into HDMI 1 on the receiver. Select BD as your input source on your receiver. Set your TV to HDMI 1. You should now hear full surround sound.

Let me know if you still cannot hear audio. It may be beneficial to connect all devices to your receiver, and use that to switch sources. ARC technology is still a little unstable.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I will answer paragraph 1 of your last answer.

In Yamaha menu I am selecting Input = HDMI 1.

In Set Up: HDMI Control = On.. By clicking a couple more time I get HDMI Control menu that has ARC = On; Standby Syn = Auto; TV Audi Input + select from AV1 - 6, Audo 1 or Audio 2. There is no ARC selection here.

So, Paragraph 2. I do not find a "BD" as an input source on my receiver. The TV input is H-1. Please do provide your thought on the BD...

I am now getting the sound from ss speakers.

Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.
The BD input is HDMI 1, and it is set to default pick up audio and video from that input on your receiver, which is why it will work.

Audio 1 and 2 will not have an ARC option, as they are analog inputs.

You say you're getting sound from ss speakers, that is good. Is your cable box plugged into HDMI 1 on your receiver? That is because it is set to default, and it's meant to be easy that way. I never trust ARC, because it has it's own long list of problems. You are better off plugging things into your receiver rather than your TV.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Cable into HDMI 1 on receiver. That seems to have been the fix. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX leave it all for now. If I have other questions, I will look for you here. Thanks again.

Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.
You are very welcome. If you get more equipment, plug them into the available HDMI ports, and assign them to which input you want to use. You have a lot of options with that receiver.
Rusty, Engineer
Experience: Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.