Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.

Hi, I have a Denon 4308 and want to install Apple TV to it.

Hi, I have a Denon 4308 and want to install Apple TV to it. I did not install my Amp 6 years ago when I bought it and have no idea how to assign Apple TV to HDMI 2 so that it can be all linked. I am assuming i need to set this up through the menu function etc but am struggling. Can you help?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Hi and welcome,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, have you tried
to connect Apple TV's HDMI Output port to the Denon's IN HDMI 3 (TV/CBL)? By default, this is pre-assigned and should work straight out if has not been altered before. Using the SOURCE SELECT, go to TV/CBL.

Please post back
results / observations once tried.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Thanks... i have done that but as it stands, I have my cable attached to that source so it then shows when i select it. How do I get my apple TV functioning then? Sorry to be so ignorant!

Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.
I understand and no worry Christopher.

If a cable box is making use of HDMI3, then have you considered / tried any of the other unused HDMI ports? DVD, HDP or DVR

Similarly, these are pre-assigned by default to HDMI1, HDMI2 and HDMI4 respectively.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I plugged it into HDMI4 but it bizarely starts showing the music from my ipod which is also connected but not to HDMI 4.

Any suggestions?

Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.
And have you tried HDMI1 or HDMI2 (if not used)?

If selecting HDMI4 would result to another source/input, then HDMI4 has been re-assigned to work with either SAT, VCR or V.AUX.

Which input jacks are used by the iPod please?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

it is all sorted out now. many thanks

Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.
Great Christopher! Glad that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

Using HDMI would be the only possible way to connect an Apple TV to the Denon.

Good luck and thank you too for the update.
Louie, Technician
Experience: Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.