Aric, Engineer
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience setting up and troubleshooting Home Theater-Stereo systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

My Denon receiver keeps powering off within about 3 secs of

My Denon receiver keeps powering off within about 3 secs of being turned on. What can I do about this?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to assist you.

How long have you owned the Denon for and when did the problem occur?

Was it after the unit was moved, or new equipment/speakers, etc. were added to it?

Also, during the 3 seconds that it's on, does the unit produce sound?

When it shuts off, does the standby light begin to blink?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's about 12-16 months old.. The unit has not been moved. It doesn't produce sound. The standby light does blink when it powers off.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for the reply.

There are a couple of things that can cause this problem, and it is also possible that the unit has an internal failure. I just want to let you know that upfront.

First, you will want to check the speaker wire connections BOTH at the back of the receiver, and at the speakers themselves, and ensure that there are no stray strands of wire touching adjacent wires, or the back of the receiver itself.

If all looks good, and you want to rule this out 100%, then the most thorough way to check that the speaker wires are not causing the issue, is to unplug the receiver, and then disconnect all of the speaker wires from the back of the unit. Then plug in only the receiver, and see if it will power up and stay powered up.

If not, then we need to try and reset the processor.

Let me know once you've gotten to this step and we can proceed.

If you need further assistance, then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can we go straight to resetting the processor?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did check the speaker wires and they all look fine. The unit feels pretty warm also.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Yes we can Lori. To do this please "Preset Channel 2", and "Preset Channel 3" on the front of the receiver while pressing On/Standby once. Continue to hold the preset buttons until the display starts blinking in increments of one second, then release them.

Please note, that if the display does not flash, then you may need to attempt the steps 3-4 times to get it to respond.

If this does not work, then you would want to proceed by disconnecting all of the speaker wires from the back of the receiver, then try the processor reset again.

This removes the possibility of any external shorts as being the cause of the problem.

If the issue does go beyond this, then the Denon would have a hardware failure internally, which would require service to the unit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have 2 tuner preset channel buttons. One has a plus sign and one has a minus sign. No display as the power is off.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
What you need to press are the actual "2" and "3" buttons that are your preset buttons for storing stations. Do you see these?

Also, yes of course the power will be off, but when the reset is done correctly the display will start to flash. That is how all Denon's operate unless there is a failure.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have these buttons on the front of the receiver.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Okay, a picture is worth a thousand words, so please click the link below then scroll to page 144 (page number at the bottom of the page), and view the instructions for "Initialization/Resetting the processor":

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/033/033AV2312C.PDF

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I apologize but I mistyped the incorrect model number. It is AVR 2313 C1. So this manual is the incorrect one and the reason I don't see the preset channel buttons you refer to. Can you send the link for the correct manual?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Yes, I am searching for this manual now.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Please click and view the instructions outlined on page 156 of the manual below:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/033/033AV2313C.PDF

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just did it several times and it still isn't working. I will take it in for repair. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
You're welcome and I am sorry to hear that. As a last ditch effort, if you have not already done so, please disconnect the speaker wires from the reciever as well, and then try the reset several more times.

If it still does not work, then The most common causes are in the Output Transistors- which directly power the speakers, and unfortunately it is not a cheap repair. Anything in the power supply circuit is going to be a minimum of around $150 and up to repair (diagnosing and tracing voltages is time consuming, as is soldering on a PCB), and if the Output stage that drives the speakers is faulty, then you are looking at closer to $200 parts and labor. If you'd like, you can use the site below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.stereorepair.com

If you need further assistance, simply reply back and do NOT rate the answer. Also keep in mind that a "bad" or "poor" rating does not initiate a refund. You are rating the service I am providing you, not the problem with the equipment, or the fact that it may require service, or additional parts to fix the problem. The rating system is only to be used once we have successfully come to a conclusion, or a solution.
Aric, Engineer
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience setting up and troubleshooting Home Theater-Stereo systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see If you've received all the information you needed. If not, feel free to reply back to me and I will continue to assist you. Best regards, Aric