Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.

I have an entertainment system problem. I have a 40in flat

I have an entertainment system problem. I have a 40in flat screen tv, and DVR/ cable box, a blue ray surround system-hooked to internet, and a vcr player. How do I hook all these together in one system that allows me to watch whatever unit I want, and have it feed thru the surround system as far as sound goes. The tv is not a smart tv(Samsung), the dvr is a Motorola, the blue ray player/surround system is a Philips w/100 wat boost, and the vcr is an older Emerson player. The way we have it hooked up now works after pushing alot of buttons but have never been able to get the vcr's sound to come thru. The tv we have hooked to the HDMI 1 slot and the blue ray player is hooked to HDMI 2 slot. The vrc plays thru one of the video ports we can find after cruising thru the opition settings, but no sound. The way the units are arraide may not be ideal, so any suggestions on the Proper way to hook all this together would be appreciated. One last note, we didn't get the original remote with the tv so we're using a universal remote to access it.
Hello, my name is Rusty. What is the model number of your TV and sound system?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay Rusty, the TV is a model DP 32648 Sanyo, sorry, and the blue ray player is a model HTS 3016/F7

OK, I'm having trouble locating the manual for your Blu-ray. That's ok, we can still get you going, but I need you to take a look at the back. Do you have an orange RCA labeled digital in, or optical in? If not, and you have an orange jack, what is it labeled on your Blu-ray?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Digital Audio In -Coaxial

Perfect. Here's how you set that up:

Plug all of your components directly to your TV. Keep the Blu-ray plugged into HDMI 1.

Connect a coaxial RCA cable between your TV's orange digital out to the Digital Audio in on your Blu-ray.

Press the input (source) button on your TV repeatedly to select the source you wish to watch.

On your Blu-ray remote, press the input button repeatedly until Digital-Coaxial is selected. Now, anything that you watch on the TV will send the sound out the digital output, to your Blu-ray player.

Let me know if you have any trouble.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You make it sound so easy. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Might be tomorrow before I kinow, something just came up that makes me put this on hold for a sec.

Ok, let me know when you have a chance to connect the system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got her hooked up and working. I assume because most of the formats on VHS, that only the front speakers are activated. I know I have some with early versions of better sound programming, that may activate more of the system. Right now the sound seems a little hollow, lacking definition. This is because of the sound programming on VHS right? Probably been listening to THX DVD"s too long and now it just doesn't seem full. Does this sound right?

Yes, VHS is only 2 channel audio. It has one video track, and two audio tracks on the tape. Does the same problem happen with Blu-ray discs or DVDs? You'll notice that the surround sound only kicks in when you see the Dolby Digital symbol on a DVD, TV program, or any other media. Since VHS carries PCM audio only, Dolby is not possible.