Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Trying to set up new Pioneer VSX-522k with my LG Plasma TV

Trying to set up new Pioneer VSX-522k with my LG Plasma TV - all HDMI cables are connected per instructions - HDMI 1/ARC to Pioneer Receiver, cable box to receiver and Blu-Ray to Receiver. Enabled ARC on both TV and receiver. TV is not recognizing receiver on input list. All HDMI cables are hi-speed. Any suggestions?

How long should I expect to wait?

Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

p0llinate :

ello, and welcome to justanswer, a pay site for expert technical help. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today. This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. When we are finished, you’ll rate my answer to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer. My goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_______________________

p0llinate :

As a diagnostic test, can you please connect either cable box or dvd directly to the tv via hdmi (bypassing the pioneer) and let me know if they come up normally?

Customer:

sure...connected cable box and it was detected

p0llinate :

Thanks. Lets try reconnecting everything as it was before (through receiver) again.

p0llinate :

Power everything off, then restart in this specific order: tv first, followed by cable cable box, then receiver.

Customer:

ok done

p0llinate :

Any luck when following this process?

Customer:

nope

p0llinate :

Lets try a microprocessor reset of the receiver before we go any further:

p0llinate :

1 Switch the receiver into standby.
2 While holding down BAND, press and hold STANDBY/ON for about two seconds.
3 When you see RESET? appear in the display, press AUTO SURROUND/STREAM DIRECT.
OK? shows in the display.
4 Press ALC/STANDARD SURR to confirm.
OK appears in the display to indicate that the receiver
has been reset to the factory default settings.

p0llinate :

If it doesn't work, you'll need to turn ARC off on the receiver, and then repeat the process.

Customer:

could you please tell me how to switch the receiver to standby?

p0llinate :

Standby is basically the "off" mode. Not powered on, but still plugged in. There is really no "off" as it's always drawing power. It's either on, or it's in standby.

Customer:

ok - will follow instructions provided

p0llinate :

And just to confirm, you have the hdmi from the receiver to the tv connected to the "out" (white colored) port on the pioneer, correct?

Customer:

sorry...looking for the standby/on button - is this on the remote?

Customer:

yes, HDMI is connected to the white colored "out" port

Customer:

never mind, found button :)

p0llinate :

ON the front panel of the receiver, lower left corner is the power/standby button.

p0llinate :

Were you able to get it reset?

Customer:

Yes, just got it

p0llinate :

Also even though you weren't getting video to the tv, were you getting audio from the cable box/dvd through the pioneer speakers earlier?

Customer:

not using pioneer speakers previously - just playing audio thru tv

p0llinate :

Through the hdmi connection from the cable box/dvd, you should have had the sound coming through the pioneer.

Customer:

I just purchased the pionerr today - trying to set up for the first time

p0llinate :

Ok, the reset I had you do should clear everything back to factory defaults.

p0llinate :

Of course the hdmi out goes to the tv, you should have the cable connected to the cable/sat hdmi port, and bluray to the bd port.

When you do this, you should hear sound from them through the pioneer, and hopefully be able to choose the right input on the tv to get video on the tv.

Customer:

Agreed, this is what we want.

Customer:

Not sure what I should do next. When I select HDMI 1 from my input list on the tv, there is "no program information" (I only have one HDMI cable connected to the tv)

Customer:

should i enable ARC again?

p0llinate :

Will it not let you select hdmi1 at all? Or it just doesn't describe the pioneer specifically in the list of sources on the tv?

The tv won't always be able to detect the receiver model. As long as you can select hdmi port, it's ok.

p0llinate :

lets leave arc off for now.

Customer:

It says "no program information" when I select HDMI 1

p0llinate :

When you bring up hdmi1 on the tv, do you get a blank screen, or a message like mode not supported or no signal?

p0llinate :

And if you choose hdmi2?

Customer:

If I select HDMI 2 I get the same message (no cables are attached to HDMI 2). Also, the tv shows HDMI 2 greyed out, whereas HDMI 1 is not greyed out so I think the tv is recognizing that there is a cable plugged in

Customer:

FYI - I turned ARC to OFF on the tv (just now), since it is also off on the stero. didn't make a difference

Customer:

next steps?

p0llinate :

When you tune the pioneer to the cable input mode, you aren't getting any audio from the cable box at all?

Customer:

ok...maybe this was my problem...I was tuning the pioneer to tv instead of cable input mode..now getting sound through speakers - and seeing picture

Customer:

should I turn ARC on? on both pioneer and tv?

p0llinate :

Great, glad to hear it.

p0llinate :

You may, if you need it.

Customer:

what is the benefit/use of ARC?

p0llinate :

You'll only need it if your tv has "apps" on it, like netflix, etc.

p0llinate :

ARC is basically a way for the tv to send audio back to the receiver. So if you were using an app on the tv, or using an antenna with the tv's built in tuner, it would give you surround sound for that function.

p0llinate :

That is all you need it for. Everything else (cable box, dvd, etc) are already going to the receiver through their own hdmi cables, so arc isn't necessary there. If you don't need it, just leave it off, as it can cause more problems than it helps.

Customer:

ok, thanks - good to know.

Customer:

we are all set - thank you

p0llinate :

You're very welcome, and glad that it's all working for you now.

p0llinate :

If you have any other questions, let me know. Otherwise please remember to rate my service using the smiley faces below, to close out our chat tonight.

Thanks,

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands