Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands

I have a Crosley record player, cassette, CD, radio but I cannot

I have a Crosley record player, cassette, CD, radio but I cannot get the turn table to turn on!! I have old, old LP's that I really want to listen to but....alas - can't get the turn table on and I cannot find the instruction book - naturally!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, I'm Nathan and I will be assisting you today. Please remember to rate/accept my answer when we have finished. Thank you.

p0llinate :

Do you see any indicators that the unit is on, or getting power, such as status lights or the display for the cd player?

p0llinate :

Are other functions (radio, cd, etc) working?

p0llinate :

It's possible you're not set to the correct input mode (LP) or that the player has a defective part, such as a bad motor, broken belt, etc

Customer:

Radio works fine - I've had the thing for several years but yesterday is the first time I've tried to use it!

Customer:

4th button on the left is marked "Ph CD RA TA" - I assume the PH is for phonograph!? When it's on RA the radio works..........

Customer:

Oh Nathan where are you?????????? Stepped out of this chat?? What does THAT mean?

p0llinate :

I'm here,

Customer:

How nice of you........ any help for me?

p0llinate :

You are correct, the PH is the phono mode.

p0llinate :

So as long as you're set to that, it *should* work.

p0llinate :

Have you ever used the turntable on the unit before?

Customer:

but it doesn't

p0llinate :

I understand that it doesn't. Do you see anything on the display when you set it to PH mode?

Customer:

No, I just moved it from the living room floor where it has patiently sat since Christmas 2 years ago. Radio works, phonograph doesn't. Does something on the turn table need to be screwed or unscrewed or something? No display

p0llinate :

Based on what you've described, the turntable unit is faulty, and would need to be repaired. The control board in the system is likely ok, since the other pieces are functioning. It may just be a loose wire or bad solder joint inside, bad selector switch, etc.

p0llinate :

Nothing to screw/unscrew. It's a self contained unit and all should work without any physical modifications.

Customer:

No lights on PH or TA

p0llinate :

You can contact Crosley directly 1.800.926.7801 and ship it in to them for repairs, or you can take it in to a local electronics shop and have them look it over.

p0llinate :

There really isn't much else you can do yourself, as it appears to be an internal defect (not operator error)

Customer:

Brand new and I get to pay to have it work??

p0llinate :

If it's less than a year old, Crosley will cover it under warranty.

p0llinate :

But at 2 years old, it wouldn't be considered brand new anymore, even if unused, electronics can go bad.

p0llinate :

In fact sitting unused is worse than regular use, as capacitors and other parts can develop problems, which may be what happened here.

Customer:

In actual use time it's 1 hour old - but as I said, it has just been sitting around - had to clean closets and the garage to find my LP's.

Customer:

Ok I'll surrender and call Crosley - do I hit "Accept" to pay you?

p0llinate :

You may try blowing the unit out with compressed air (you'll need to remove the back cover) and leaving it unplugged for awhile (at least a few hours) which may reset the system. But beyond that, repair is the only other option.

p0llinate :

Yes, when you "accept" it will credit me for my time, and close out our chat.

p0llinate :

I'm sorry I didn't have a better answer for you today.

Customer:

I'm so full of hot air - maybe I'll try that. Thanks anyway....

p0llinate :

You're welcome. Have a good day,

Customer:

thought I ended this -

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands