Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have Yamaha RX-V765 AV receiver for the last two yrs. When

I have Yamaha RX-V765 AV receiver for the last two yrs. When I turn on the power, it turns off quickly. If i try repeatedly, the power stays off.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Did this problem occur after a storm or power outage?

Also, when it shuts down is the power light blinking at all?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This problem is going on for a while. But somehow it starts working ok again. It stops working since yesterday again. There was no strom or power outage.

When it shuts down, the power light does not blink.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Please try disconnecting the speakers (and speaker wires) connected to the unit and let me know if it will power up with no speakers connected.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try. There are many wires connected and you may have to help me to connect them again to right sockets.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Before disconnecting the speaker wires use tape and label the wires. I cannot see where they are all going to.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I disconnected all speaker wires. I turned the power on ,but does the same
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Sorry to hear that, unfortunately this indicates a failure in the power supply circuit of the Yamaha which will require component replacement to fix. The isse is going to be either one or more failed capacitors, regulator IC's, or the Power Supply itself. There aren't any buttons, or resets you can perform to fix this problem though, and the unit will require service. Average cost for this type of repair is going to be between $150-$175 parts and labor, which may or may not be cost effective for you to fix (As a new receiver costs barely more than this). If you like the receiver though and would like to have it fixed, you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I looked in the owners manual. It is mentioned that speaker impedance may be incorrect?
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

When you disconnected the speakers, then you bypassed this possibility of a problem.

When the unit shut down prior, was it hot to the touch?

Also, what do the speakers you're connecting to it say on the back of them as far as impedance (4 ohms, 6 ohms, 8 ohms)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The unit was never hot to touch.

I have new "JAMO" speakers (total five of them). Speakers are mounted so I can't see on there back. The booklet of the speaker does not say that.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

The speaker impedance was not the problem then if the unit was never hot to the touch, and Jamo speakers are well within the range of the Yamaha. The issues I stated above- that the power supply section of the receiver has a failure.