Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

I bought a new samsung smart tv. I have dish network. How do

Customer Question

I bought a new samsung smart tv. I have dish network. How do I connect the TV to the reciever to get sound from the TV to the reciever. I would like to use the TV with the reciever off sometime. I hooked the optical cable from the tv to the reciever and did not get anything.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Jack :

Hi and welcome to justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

Does your receiver have HDMI inputs ?

Jack :

If you are to use an optical cable for sound then the proper connection for surround sound would be to connect the receiver directly into the dish box.

Jack :

All of the dish network box have an optical out.

Jack :

Also, when the tv is connected to the dish box with a HDMI cable then its optical output will either be muted or stereo only.

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

receiver does not have hdmi

Jack :

O.k then as i said the best way to get surround sound would be to connect the optical input of the receiver to the optical output of the dish box, not the tv.

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

i hooked the optical cable from dish to reciever. set the receiver output to CD/DVD, I get no sound

Jack :

Is that INPUT named cd/dvd ?

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

yes

Jack :

also , you may have to try different settings on your receiver i.e stereo,simulated surround etc. as not all channels received by the dish box are surround.

Jack :

Try to switch channels and see if some channels do have sound

Jack :

Usually it will be indicated at the bottom of the screen when a program/show is surrpound

Jack :

surround

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

no luck, switched chanell, programs are stereo

Jack :

Do you get sound if you set your receiver to "stereo" mode ?

Jack :

or simulated stereo ?

Jack :

sorry simulated surround

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

receiver is in stereo mode, not a setting for simulated

Jack :

And still no sound?

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

no sound

Jack :

Try to pull off the optical cable at the receivers end and look at the tip ,do you see any light coming out of it ?

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

I did, I do see the red light

Jack :

o.k and do you have other equipment connected to this receiver and do they work ?

Jack :

I meant through an optical connection ,like a dvd or cd player

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

yes, dvd hooked to receiver with RCA type connection, Vcr the same way, I am not connecting video to the reciever (going directly to the TV with video, sound direct to receiver

Jack :

O.k and does your dvd have an optical out and could you try it in the same input as you have the dish receiver now ?

Jack :

Could you also give me the model of the receiver ?

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

no optical on DVD

Jack :

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

Kenwood VR-606

Jack :

The optical input may be assignable and set to another input.
Can you give me a couple of minutes ?

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

yes

Jack :

be right back

Jack :

O.k we`ll try a few things;
While the input is set to cd/dvd and the volume turned up some , try to switch the "input mode" (button at the front of the receiver) to F-AUTO and /or D-MANUAL

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

no sound

Jack :

o.k be right back

Jack :

You dont happen to have another piece of equipment that has an optical output do you ?

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

If we get sound, I need to go back and come from optical out on TV to receiver, TV is smart and I have Netflex which would not come through dish box

Jack :

Yes but as i said when the tv is connected with a HDMI cable then the optical out is at best in stereo if any

Jack :

What you would need to do is to try something like a CD player that has optical out.

Jack :

Right now your receiver is set correctly to receive an optical signal

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

That would be OK, I would still get Suround from DVD wired directly to receiver.

Jack :

Yes ,but first you have to somehow find out if the receiver is defective , also perhaps the optical output of the dish box has to be set in a format readable by the receiver.

Jack :

Although they usually are set to send a standard signal that all receiver will read

Jack :

Are you certain that your dvd does not have an optical output jack

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

Is the answer to buy a new DVD, and probably a new receiver?

Jack :

Before buying a new receiver, you would need to test its optical input with another piece of equipment , as i said right now it is set correctly to get an optical signal but perhaps the optical input is defective

Jack :

Did you ever use that input ?

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-68jaclo9- :

never used optical input

Jack :

O.k no problem ,you`re welcome and you will receive an email after this chat is closed and there will be a link to get back to me anytime or you can just send a reply here if you have any questions and i will be with you ASAP.

Jack :

In the mean time you could use the stereo jacks at the back of the dish box

Jack :

They will also carry surround information for the receiver