Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.

hi there, my Onkyo TX-TXNR 609 receiver keeps turning off .

hi there, my Onkyo TX-TXNR 609 receiver keeps turning off . Everytime I turn on it says "Check SP wire " and shuts off . Thanks for your help
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, CHECK SP WIRE would be as it implies; i.e. the built-in diagnostics has detected a fault in the speaker and/or its wiring. Proposed check would be to unplug for an extended period of time, say an hour or so. Temporarily disconnect and check all speakers and its wires, plug back in the power cord only, turn on and vary the volume. Note if problem persist.

If it does, then it would be an internal hardware issue. Still, there is a possible fix; though not quick-n-easy and neither is there a workaround. The unit would have to be opened up for visual inspection, voltage measurements, confirm fault and effect repairs.

If it does not, then 1 or more of the wiring /speakers may have issues and/or the new speakers are overloading the amps causing false-sensing and auto-protect to kick in.

Please post back how things turned up and/or should you need additional information.