Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Have pioneer vsx-917v blue power light blinking

Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you
for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, unplug again for an extended period of time, say an hour or so. Temporarily disconnect and check all speakers and its wires, plug back in the power cord only, set the volume to the lowest and turn on.

The Service Manual describes a force bypass of the auto-protect. This however is a 2-bladed tool; it may reset the Pioneer's fault mode or it would allow the unit to turn ON even with the faults and cause additional damage. Should you venture to try:

graphic

Note if problem persist. If it does and all external remedies have been tried, check and ruled out, then it would be an internal hardware issue or more particularly, the built-in diagnostics has sensed a fault and kicked in full auto-protect mode.

Unfortunately, no quick/easy fix and neither is there a workaround. The unit would have to be opened up for visual inspection, voltage measurements, confirm fault and effect repairs.

Offhand and after a review of the repair/Service Manual, primary suspects would be:
  • fan has stopped (least likely);
  • ± supply rail abnormality (likely);
  • presence of DC voltage in any of the output transistor pair (most likely).

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? Do you have access to, familiar with and comfortable in the use of a multimeter and perhaps even a soldering iron/hot-air station?

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should you need additional information.

Good luck and thank you for asking.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The buttons needed to reset the unit were Auto Surr/Direct and Enter. This gave me an AMP ERR code on screen. Have dissected unit. The pin labeled SL out on center power amp is shorted to VH- and VL-. This unit is in garage and is played loud on occasion. Should I assume this power amp burned out and replace or look for another cause?
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the most likely suspect would be the amplifier output power pack for Surround Left (SL) that would be faulty. Specifically, this would be IC602, an STK412-530. A replacement may be inquired HERE.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are very knowledgeable on this device. This is deffinately not a DIY job. Another post from you inspired me to dig in. I. C. is removed and pins are still shorted. Replacement on the way shortly. Please reply and I will accept answer. Thanks for your time!
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Appreciate the update.

Others to check (just to be on the safe side) would be:
  • resistor R639, 0.22Ω;
  • Q633, 2SC2240