Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

My ONKYO TX-DS575 suddenly has no sound output except for a

Customer Question

My ONKYO TX-DS575 suddenly has no sound output except for a very low level at full volume on all sources. And I can't seem to anything at all from the optical source which is plugged to my apple tv. Everything was working perfectly until I updated the software on the apple tv. After that it all went haywire. 
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Let me help you.

What cables are connected between your TV and your Onkyo?

Do you know if you are/were using ARC?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a surround speaker system that is wired into the screw inputs. Then 2 dvd players with RCA inputs, a VHS with RCA inputs, and my apple tv which is connected via an optical cable. I have a projector which is cabled seperately from the amplifier. Not sure what mean by arc ?
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let's start with the basics. Press the button on your remote control that says 'Muting'. Make sure you point the remote at your receiver when you do this.
Rusty, Engineer
Experience: Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rusty. Have had the manual out and tried all the tourbleshooting tips. Could the amplifer have blown ? Also, When I put headphones in, there is a very low level coming from all the inputs, and nothing from from optical input which for some reason doesn't want to connect when I hit the DIGTAIL/ANALOGUE, PRESET MODE and ENTER SCAN BUTTONS. It's like the whole machine has been affected somehow.
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Well I haven't heard of the amplifiers blowing in the Onkyo models, but it is possible. Did you try pressing the mute button? There is a mute level set, which determines the volume when you press mute button. I suspect this is the culprit. Does the sound go completely off when you press this button?

You said you tried re-powering, did you unplug it for a minute then plug it back in? If not try that, and let me know what the mute button does.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have tried the muting button a number of times. Issue also seems to be that many of the remote functions and front panel buttons are not working properly either. The only funciton that works on my remote is the mute and the voulme control. No other function seems to work. And When I press any of the input select buttons or present buttons on the mcahine itself, the low ouptput cancel outs entirely and I jave to re-power the whole amp, just to get back to geting this very low level. I can't work out if this some kind of total machine failure or not.
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Double check the speaker outputs in the back. Look closely to see if a wire is touching another connection. One single strand of wire can cause odd things to happen.

Let me know what you find. If you don't fix it with this advice, I'll opt out so another expert may assist you. Thank you for the challenge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Thanks. Will do and will get back to you.
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Send me a message when you try it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry. Have checked and there are no crossed wires.
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I'll find another expert for you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cheers.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, consider a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try:

graphic

May have to be done a couple of times.

A reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose other issues.

If it turns out to be an internal hardware fault, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? Do you have access to, familiar with and comfortable in the use of a multimeter and perhaps even a soldering iron/hot-air station? Equally important, could you make use of the repair / Service Manual?

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should you need additional information.

Good luck and thank you for asking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the advice Benimur. But my model is a TX - DS575 and it does not seem to have a VCR/DVR button on the front panel to allow for a re-set. Is there another way to re-set this model ?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
I understand and my bad; the above was for a North American TX-SR575.

From the Service Manual, below is the reset procedure for the International version of the TX-DS575.

graphic

Louie, Technician
Experience: Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Not at my achine right now. Have had to go away. Will check on my return and get back to you asap.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
I understand.

Appreciate the update now and later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have had to travel interstate for work this week. Back home tomorrow and will try your restart suggestion as soon as I get home. I will reply to you asap after that. Sorry about the delay.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
I understand and an update when available would be appreciated.

May I inquire/confirm if you have accepted the previous answer of the other responder?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry not yet, as I need to try your suggestion to make sure it works. And the earlier suggestion did not relate to my model number.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
There must have been a glitch as it would appear that you accepted the other expert's answer. Still, no worry, will ask a moderator to sort it out if this was a mistake.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. As I said I will get back to you in 24 hrs or so.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Thank you too.

Please post / reply again by then. I am prompted to provide a reply soon as you post again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Benimur - Have just retuned home and tried your re-start suggestion. And..presto ! It worked !!! Thanks so much for your patience. All the best, Kriv.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Great! Glad that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

Good luck and thank you too for the accept.

This is not an Info Request.