Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I just inherited a Denon AVR-3600 WITHOUT a Remote Control.

I just inherited a Denon AVR-3600 WITHOUT a Remote Control. I purchased a Harmony 650 series universal remote which is aiding me in my process. Question. It seems as though the amplifier for the front channel speakers is not active. E.g. Lots of treble but no bass. Is there a method to find out IF the the ampilifier is active OR a method for checking the setting to see if the levels have been turned down?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, I'd like to help you with your problem. When you are satisfied with my answers, please remember to click on accept.

p0llinate :

There is a setting in the speaker setup to adjust the size of the speakers (small or large) and the crossover setttings, which ideally you'll want to set around 60 or 80hz depending on your speakers.

Customer:

Can I get this from the the from the front panel buttons?

Customer:

i am going to hook up the monitor again one sec...

p0llinate :

Yes, you should be able to press the Setup button, then scroll through until you see speaker setup.

Customer:

ok. no setup button on the front panel. Any other possible suggestions? It seems odd that I do have sound, but not full body sound. I did a hard reset with the AC3 and Phono button. No change in sound...

p0llinate :

Can you confirm the make and model of your receiver?

Customer:

AVR-3600 by Denon.

p0llinate :

What devices do you have connected, and how (ex: dvd player via component and optical) and is the sound problem the same on all sources?

Customer:

Currently I am only working with the Tuner. I want to keep my testing simple. I am only using one speaker at the moment as well.

p0llinate :

You should really use at least 2 speakers (front left and right) to equalize the load on the amplifier, and make sure you're getting full channel sound.

p0llinate :

Also make sure subwoofer is disabled if you see an option to do so,

p0llinate :

This can have an effect on the amount of bass signal sent to the other speakers.

Customer:

One sec... Ok two speakers... I do not see a sw option at the moment.

p0llinate :

Do you not have a menu or setup button on the front panel?\

Customer:

no. nothing of the sort

p0llinate :

It may only be on the remote, which of course you aren't able to access.

p0llinate :

There has to be a configuration menu to access speaker setup, input configuration, etc

Customer:

I expected as much. Well lets cut into the meat of the question: IF I have sound coming from the receiver, even though it is not good quality sound, do you think the receiver is OK? I realize this is vague, and I am making a lot of assumptoins, but my next step is to tear it apart looking for anything blown.

p0llinate :

I think the receiver probably is ok. Generally if there is a problem with it, it would be related to the amp or the power supply, and you wouldn't get any sound.

p0llinate :

It's sort of all or nothing, and I still have a feeling the problem is with a setting.

p0llinate :

Although the microprocessor reset should have taken care of that.

p0llinate :

It's possible there is a problem with the tuner, or it's an issue with the surround mode you're using.

p0llinate :

Maybe try a dvd player connected through optical to play a cd so you're using a digital source that you know will have full range sound.

p0llinate :

And see if the performance is any different that way.

Customer:

I am using Stereo. No special affects. DVD PLayer/ IPOD/ Blu Ray all sound equally aweful. Like listening through a earphones set on the counter at max volume. No Mid, No Bass, Just the high range.... I will keep playing. Thanks for the ear to bounce some ideas off of.

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands