Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years electronics experience. How may I help you today?
63817454

I can't get the time to set to the correct setting. I set it

Customer Question

I can't get the time to set to the correct setting. I set it and within 5 minutes it defaults to some obscure time.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Lorex,model, LHV2000, just over a year old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I bought it a year ago and just installed it in October. It has never been right. I researched the problem on line but didn't find anything, so not much trouble shooting done.
JA: Anything else you want the security expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, is there an answer?
Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Sorry, this message never sent for some reason.

Does the time look like it went to a different time zone, or are the minutes obscure too?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've changed time zones and set the time accurately. Saved it and it remains on time for about 5 minutes then automatically resets to the old setting. It is always 12 hours off. I've tried setting on 24 and 22 hour schedules.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry - meant tried setting it under the 12 hour and 24 hour setting and get same results.
Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Hmm, what if we try to trick it and set it 12 hours off?

This isn't how it was meant to work, are you clicking Apply after you set the time?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've tried tricking it. It has this stupid GMT time zone setting and everything is plus or minus 12 hours from the GMT 0000 setting. Is there a way to do a complete reset on this thing? Maybe power it down for a period of time and then start all over? I'm sure I set the time right in the initial set up, just not sure when it started resetting to the incorrect time.
Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

That is so weird, electronics have computers in them and computers only do what we tell them to do. Disconnect it from power to reset it, this isn't a full reset, but it will take care of some problems. Leave it unplugged for about 5 minutes. I'll check for other causes of this, I've never seen this symptom on this unit.

Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Also, turn off your DST updates. That may have something to do with it.

Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Also uncheck NTP. Those are the things that will set the clock automatically. It's possible that the NTP time is what is throwing it off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
10-4, will let you know results
Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good, that takes the computer factor out of a simple time setting. Let me know how it works.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's been over an hour since I shut it down, reset the time and unchecked the DST and the NPT, and it seems to be just fine. Curious to which one actually corrected the issue. Maybe I'll try turning the DST on again and see if it that causes it. Then try the same with the NPT to see if that was it. I doubt it was the reboot as it started back up with the same time on the clock as when I shut it off.
Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

It's most likely the NPT. DST only changes on certain dates, but the NPT is reliant on the internet, and that could be way off in your area. Go ahead and turn on the DST, I am 99% certain that it's the NPT. That's the one that constantly updates.

You'll need to manually check the time once a month, or every few months to make sure you're still on time, as the computer clocks can run slow or fast, depending on how the circuits are built. Other than that, you should be fine.

Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if the time stays into the morning. Have a great night, I'll check back when I get to my desk.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is still on time, looking like it's fixed. Thanks.
Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome! Glad we could get that sorted out for you. Be cautious of that if you think about buying anything that uses internet time sync, they are likely to have the exact same problem.

If you could please rate my service 3-5 stars, I will receive credit for helping you. Have a great day!