Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

We have severe reflection problems with the night vision.

Customer Question

We have severe reflection problems with the night vision. Tha reason we got the cameras was to monitor temperature. At night we cannot see the thermometer. It is just a white blob. I have painted the Red needle balck already.
JA: What's the exact make and model of the camera? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is the camera that comes with a LNB3321B-2PK and it is a month old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: From installation. Changing the angle and distance of the thermometer from the camera. We have other cameras that don't do this as long as we paint the needle black.
JA: Anything else you want the security expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Would it be possible to capture and send a camera shot of BOTH DAY and NIGHT images?

2) Can you also send a description (or diagram) of where the camera is, relative to the thermometer(s)?

Please use the REPLY box below.

Thanks

(im)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is not possible to get a "screen shot". Suffice it to say that the daytime picture is as close to perfect as this camera is capable of. The Thermometer is approx 14" round with a white background and black letters and pointer. At night it is a white blob and at times a very shaded negative if the monitor is viewed at an angle. The thermometer is approximately 6' from the camera and is suspended from a ceiling which is out of the close focal range and not directly in front of the camera (approx 10 degrees up). Objects behind the thermometer show clearly both day and night. There is no external light source reflecting on the thermometer. I have tried removing the plastic cover on the thermometer which made it worse. I suspected reflection but changing the angle did nothing.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that description of the layout and image.

What I SUSPECT you are seeing is quite a bit of "washout" when in Night-mode, with that washout being caused by ALL of the LEDS on the camera illuminating the white background of the thermometer.

I found a video of a similar system that shows a camera in night-mode, that may be similar to what you are seeing. Here is a link to that video, and it should appear at about the 12 minute mark. Please take a look and notice the lower-left camera showing on the screen.

https://youtu.be/W5m6kvs1KpY?t=720

As mentioned above, I believe this washout is caused by the multiple LEDs lighting the area, and with these cameras rated at over 100 feet of "night vision" capability, and the thermometer being only six feet away - that is probably just "too much light" for that close of an object.

I would think that a "simple fix" would be to BLOCK some of the LEDs - until you get less washout, and overall better "contrast" of the thermometer dial.

It may take some trial and error, but you may want to try a few pieces of BLACK electrical tape - cut and placed OVER the LEDs around the face of the camera. Note NOT to cover the "light sensor" - usually mounted at the TOP of the camera face.

NOTE: This lower lighting level MAY cause loss of detail in the surrounding areas, but if the temperature monitoring is the main purpose of this camera, that should not be a concern.

Please give this blocking of the LEDs a try, and let me know your results or if you have any more questions.
If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)