Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have an Ademco Vista 10SE a system. Smoke detectors are

Customer Question

I have an Ademco Vista 10SE a system. Smoke detectors are attached and were set off yesterday morning. Fire alarm went off but I couldn't shut off the alarm even though I entered the correct codes. Eventually stopped but the strobe light is still flashing and the keypad is showing an FC error. Not Ready is also showing. I have entered my code but the pad isn't clearing. I have noticed that 2 of the numbers on the keypad do not make a sound unlike the other 2 so am not sure if that might be part of the problem. I think I may need to get a tech out to check the system which I inherited 6 years ago when I bought the property. Hope all this makes sense.. Regards
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Mary H
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Only happened over the weekend. At other times if I have set the alarm off there was not problem turning ig off and clearing the keypad
JA: Anything else you want the security expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If you think the keypad is going bad, you are probably right. If some keys produce a tone or a beep, all of the number keys should. That some do not, means your code did not work because some of it was not entered, some digits of it (the ones that did not beep) did not even 'register'.

To enter your code, or try to, again, absolutely lean on the keys that haven't beeped... without ripping the keypad off the wall, you can still apply a fair amount of force to a system that is already partially 'broken'. Maybe you can enter your code and clear the alarm and strobe and so forth for now, by that means.

And after that: replacing keypads is routine enough. Some brands have replacement key elements, but that's not true of Ademco keypads usually that I know of. So replacing the whole keypad will be the likely cure for the problem with some numbers not registering.

As for how likely that is: with a system that is 6 years old at minimum, and possibly twice as old, the keypad is very likely getting too old to limp along any more. Replacement of a defective keypad at that age is quite likely enough to be needed.

So in sum: keypad needs replacing, getting a tech out there might be a good way to go.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.