Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Lights on control pads are out and it is going off

Customer Question

lights on control pads are out and it is going off constantly although not loud. How to I disconnects
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Where do I find that info...it is 18 yrs old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just last night and this morning
JA: Anything else you want the security expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to disconnect until I can get a technician here
Category: Home Security Systems
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need to turn off system!!!! Now
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Need to turn off now!!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If you have a code for the alarm system, enter it, and press End or press STOP or press ENTER (most likely that last is on the keypad.)

If it still sounds, or if you have no code, you need to figure out which circuit breaker in your home, will turn Off the alarm system box. Flip that breaker, listen for the alarm no longer sounding, leave it Off by the breaker switch until the technician arrives.

That's about all you can do - aside from cutting wires. That's usually not easy to do, nor easy to figure out... it is a security system after all, not easy to disable by any casual intruder. And to instruct you as to what wires to disconnect or to cut, I would really have to know the maker and model #... So the above, I hope, will help, in the meantime.

Another thing to try:

since the lights on the control pad are out, try removing the battery (a sizeable chunky square-ish one, usually) from inside the alarm system box (not necessarily the one with the keypad.

You may have to open the system box with a key... unless you wish to break into it... to get at, and unplug, the power backup battery.