To-Shay
To-Shay, Electronic Security Engineering
Experience:  Long & Extensive experience in the Electronic Security Industry from Design, through to Installation & Ma
53917824

I am setting up a security camera system with an NVR and 7

Customer Question

I am setting up a security camera system with an NVR and 7 cameras. I already have 5 of the 7 cameras working perfectly. They are hard wired(Cat 6 network cable) back to the NVR in the office (no issues). The final 2 cameras are to be pole mounted on separate 40 ft poles about 1800 feet away from the office and pulling wires would be impossible. So since I have good line-of-sight I purchased 2 sets (one set for each camera) of EZ Bridge LT+ point to point wireless bridge system. I have them all set up in the office for configuration purposes and after I get them working I will mount the cameras and antennae to the remote poles. I used the EZ Bridge discovery tool on my laptop and I am able to log in to both sides of the wireless bridge and get good strong signal but when I connect the cable to the NVR I am not getting anything. The NVR is not detecting any new devices. I am certain that this is simply a configuration issue but I have never set up a wireless bridge and I have very limited experience with IP cameras. So I need someone to walk me through the troubleshooting/configuration of the wireless bridge so I can get the final 2 cameras online and I'll be very happy.
- The NVR is a Dahua Tech DH-NVR4416-16P (NVR is not currently connected to the Internet. We are only using it locally for the time being)
- All 7 cameras are Dahua Tech DH-SD6A23ON-HN (As I said, the 5 cameras that were hard wired back to the NVR are working perfectly I only need assistance with the final 2 to be connected via Wireless Bridge)
- Wireless Bridges are EZ Bridge LT+(Currently set up indoors with camera connected for configuration)
- All Network cables have been tested and passed
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Security Systems
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the antennae set up 50 feet apart in a hallway with the cameras at one end
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. The IP address of the NVR may be different than the address of the EZ Bridge? Connect the bridge to your computer and write down the IP addresses. Then check the address of the NVR to see how they compare and let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The IP address of the NVR is: 192.168.1.108but the NVR assigned IP addresses to the working 5 cameras of: 10.1.1.65 through 10.1.1.69so I assigned the following IP addresses to the wireless bridgeBase: 10.1.1.86
Remote: 10.1.1.87
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try setting the ip addresses for the wireless bridge to the same as the NVR now (192.168.1.108)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still online?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you able to assist?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am a bit pressed for time and I'm not getting any feedback from you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could you please refer me back to the site for assistance from another tech if you are unable to assist me at this time?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

My apologies for the delay. I will assist you when you are available.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okau. I'm here. Glad you're back
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

You cannot set the address of the bridge the same as the NVR. That will cause a conflict.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Currently the ip addresses of the wireless bridge are192.168.1.139 and 192.168.1.239
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Shou.Should that be different?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Since we late spoke I rebooted the NVR. But that did not help
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

The IP address of the bridge should be probably set to a 10 address like the cameras.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried that before contacting you to no avail but I will try it again right now.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

If the NVR is communicating to the other devices on a 10.1 network, then the bridge will need to be on that address scheme as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. Will do
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Did the NVR assign the IP addresses to the cameras?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Never mind. I re-read your post. I am a little confused since the address of the NVR is 192 and the cameras are 10. All of the devices should be in the same scheme unless the NVR has a built in router that can assign IP addresses??

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Is your NVR connected to your router?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Still with me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It has a built in router and provides POE
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Is the NVR connected to your network router?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But for the wirelease bridge I'm using the POE injectors that came in the package.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any suggestions at this point?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Have you read my last questions?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Are you with me?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Okay let me know when you are available please and I will return as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Must have been glitch in this website. Your messages are only now showing up on my end
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Well it happens?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

So, how do you have the NVR connected to your network?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay so the nvr was not connected to a router we have just been using it to record locally for the time being but I can connect it right now if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you want me to connect it now?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

No I was just wondering where the IP addresses were coming from? Can you access the network setup please and let me know when you get there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am there
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can send you pictures of the other components if you wish.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Okay give me a minute.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also if you prefer, I could pay the extra for the telephone consultation if you think it will help
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Okay so I am thinking you are setup for dual network adapters?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

No a phone would not be beneficial at this point.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure. Sorry I'm sort of a novice
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll just follow whatever instructions you give to a tee.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Okay click on the Network tab. Does it open anything?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I am looking for a window like this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is the network tab that is clicked. I just connected the wireless bridge back to my laptop to run the discovery tool again and I notice that the nvr changed the ip a dress of the base unit of the wireless bridge. (They are both set to DHCP)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, the remote unit of the bridge is set up as a client as you can see in my last picture. Is that okay?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The screen shot I sent you is the closest thing I see to the screen shot you sent me. I clicked on each one of the available options
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Well that is where we are running into problems. All devices need to be on the same address. Either 192.168.?.? or 10.1.?.?. Try to set the Network to single adapter interface and set all your devices to a 192.168 address.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Here is how your bridge should look.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't see an option for single/dual adapter interface. Should I assume then that it is already set to single?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Well your camera's had to pickup those IP address from somewhere?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Did you connect the camera's directly to the NVR when you first set them up?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Okay I see that you did... sorry!

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

So I presume your laptop has an address of 192.168.?.? which is probably where the bridge picked up the address?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm still working on getting the ip addresses for the bridge changed
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Okay. Let me know when you do and I will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have them set up with that configuration but now the remote unit is not being detected by the discovery tool. I am thinking that the issue is that it's no longer set up as a client.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is a pic of the current discovery tool display. I think I need to change the remote unit back to client mode. Do you recommend that move?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Seems like you're done for the night. If that's the case can we pick up where we left off in the morning?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm still available here to continue for the next half-hour if you are available.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also I'm thinking that perhaps I should upgrade the bridge's firmware to the latest version.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

The firmware upgrade is always a good idea! How are you coming with the address?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got the ip addresses updated but the wireless bridge units stopped communicating with one another when I changed the remote unit from WDS -CLIENT to Bridge. We had to lock up the office just now and I'm on my way home. I'd like to finish up in the morning if that's okay with you. Perhaps tonight you can come up with a foolproof strategy for fixing this issue. I will go ahead and flash the firmware.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Well unfortunately nothing is ever foolproof!! We just need to figure out what IP configuration is needed. I will look for you in the AM.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay I'll be back over there early upgrading that firmware
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Maybe this will help? Think of the bridge as though it were the camera. It needs the same type of IP address as the other cameras in the system in order to communicate with the NVR.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That makes sense but I tried that and the nvr still didn't detect a camera. Also, according to the EZBridge literature, the bridge is supposed to be "invisible" to the network.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Talk about a pain in the a#%.... LOL!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I feel your pain as well!! The bridge is in affect invisible. It is just another way to connect your camera to the NVR. It is really no different than using a cable to connect the camera to the NVR with the exception of the IP address that is needed for the devices to talk to each other.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good mkrning, So far today I have1) Flashed both sides of the bridge with updated firmware2) connected the camera in question directly to the nvr without the wireless bridge and verified that the camera is in perfect working order3) changed the ip address of both sides of the bridge to match the subnet of the cameras as you can see in the attached photo.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Do you have the bridge set for Client mode?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I came across this thread in a forum. It seems related but I'm not sure if this applies to my situation. Perhaps it will make more sense to you than it does to me?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/8640-can-not-find-network-host
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

What version of Windows are you on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One side of the bridge is set as "client- bridge"
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The laptop I'm using has windows 10 on it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now I'm wondering if the MAC Adresses for the bridge don't need to be modified to match the cameras.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Okay. You are going to need to change the IP address of the bridge to the same subnet as the NVR. So it will need to be something like 192.168.1.109 and 192.168.1.110 Right click on the Windows start icon then select Command Prompt (Admin) At the prompt type ipconfig and press enter and let me know what you get back. MAC addresses are hard wired so don't try to change them!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
These are the MAC Addresses of the cameras currently connected.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
These are the current MAC Addresses of the bridge
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay I won't mess with the mac addresses
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Do you have your IP info yet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did the ipconfig. I can show you what it says in a pic easier than I can tell you
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

What are you using to communicate with me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am changing the ip addresses of the bridge as you instructed
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Do you have your laptop connected to your router?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am using my Samsung tablet to communicate with you. so I can dedicate the laptop solely to fixing the cameras
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Okay. Can you connect the laptop to the router please then try the ipconfig command again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When you say to "connect the laptop to the router" are you referring to the internal router in the NVR?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Here is what we need to work on. All of your devices need to be on the same subnet. Since the NVR appears to have an IP address of 192.168.1.108, I would change all of the other devices to match. You can go right up the line if you want? 109,110,111, etc. I think that should resolve the communication problem. I will be stepping away for a few minutes and will be back as soon as I can. Connect your laptop to the router you get your internet service from. We will leave the NVR out for now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Right now I'm getting Internet service wirelessly through my phone I have not yet connected o the router they use here in the office bUT i wI'll try. I might hAve to get login info from their in house tech guy.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I use an app to turn my phone into a hotspot. that what I'm currently using for Internet access.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is the current ip address setup of the wireless bridge. I changed them to match the nvr.
7
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll wait till you get back.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Okay that makes sense as to why you are not seeing an address from the laptop. Just remember, you cannot have duplicate IP addresses in the same subnet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe everything has its own ip address. the laptop's address shows up in the top menu bar of the discovery tool.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

The address you see for the laptop is internally generated by the laptop since it is not connected to a router. Basically it is just a place holder and not a valid address. Once you have addresses set for your devices, try connecting all to the NVR and see how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay so I have downloaded to my laptop a program from Dahua called "SmartPSS" which is designed to control their cameras. I connected the camera to the bridge and connected the laptop to the other side of the bridge with SmartPSS running. SmartPSS immediately detected the camera BUT says that the status of the camera is "Inactive (can not find network host).
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have temporarily disconnected all of the cameras that were working to eliminate the possibility of conflict and to focus on the wireless bridge
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you saying that I should also change the ip address of the camera?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I would. I am not sure where the addresses came from but they don't match the subnet of the NVR.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could you please guide me on how to change the camera's ip address?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Just as soon as I can find that camera.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Still with me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just had a small bit of success. I don't know how to change the camera's ip address but I tried changing the ip address of my laptop to match the camera and I ran the SmartPSS program on my laptop. I connected the camera to my laptop through the wireless bridge. As soon as the change in ip address took effect on my laptop the camera came to life and I could see the video on my laptop and control the PTZ
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

And there in lies the key!! All you need to do to connect to the camera is, from the browser, type in the address of the camera and it should bring up the admin GUI of the camera.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

It should look something like this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. I was not able to manually change the IP address of the camera but through the SMARTPSS interface I was able to switch the camera from Static IP to DHCP. I then reconnected the wireless bridge to the NVR. anD then after about 20 seconds viola! THE CAMERA STARTED WORKING!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
now I need your advice on setting up the second camera. should I just change the channel on the second wireless bridge?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Yes you will need to change the address on the other bridge. Keep in mind when setting addresses to DHCP they will change periodically. The only was to access the individual cameras will be through the NVR. I have my system set with static IP's so that I can access the cameras without going through the DVR but that is up to you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I suppose that after I get everything working I can go back into the wireless cameras and see what ip address the nvr assigned and then change that to a static ip...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But to be honest, at this point I'm fatigued and fed up with these two cameras and I really don't care if their ip's are dynamic. (I may feel differently about this in the morning) :-D
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Well let me know where you are and we can go from there!

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Something to consider. If you can get the two wireless links to connect to the NVR, (transmitter > receiver > NVR) then the camera should be connected last to the transmitter after the link is established. Let me know.