Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

The red armed light is on but no display on the panel;

Customer Question

the red armed light is on but no display on the panel; pressing the keys brings no response.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: ademco vista 20hwse; 16 years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the power to the box in the garage. this has been going on a few days.
JA: Anything else you want the security expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: my at&t phone man was here last Friday to replace a bad wireless modem. could he have done something?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Disconnect the power for a longer interval... try 1 hour or longer... which may be needed in order to rest and reset the systme.

Having the display show nothing indicates a malfunction in the control circuity or CPU of the alarm system. This is serious, and might mean that your alarm system is 'broken'.

(The repair or phone man probably did not 'break' the system, if it was still working when he left and for a while after that. Just by the way.)

How old is the Ademco system in question?

Let me know how it goes, and I will advise you further as appropriate and as needed.