Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

DSC POWER 832….PC5010 VER. 2,0 PC 5508Z LED 8 zone System is

Customer Question

DSC POWER 832….PC5010 VER. 2,0 PC 5508Z LED 8 zone
System is programmed with two different cell numbers in [301],[302], [303]. 301 and 303 are the same number and they are to be dialed once. Alarm causes numbers to be dialed in following order, 301,303 and 302. In all alarm situations the numbers are successfully dialed in the order shown and whether phone is answered or not there is silence on the lines.
With an unmonitored system can there be identifying tones/signals generated when an alarm condition is programmed to dial to a cell phone(s)? If so is there a handshake to acknowledge and cease the dialing……where/how are these things programmed?
Thank you
Bob
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

[320] to [353] are the codes that the system can use to report to a pager, after dialing it.

(This applies to the old days when pagers were all the rage. But even a cell phone can receive something... provided you insert some 'pause' time after the number is ***** Or one of these status codes.

See this document, which may help greatly with what you are asking about... and it's quite short enough:

http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/DSC/Intrusion%20Panels/PC5010-Power832/PC5010%20Pager%20Notes.pdf

Hex digit 'E' can be used for a 2-second pause each, please note.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Busy until later in the day and I will try what is suggested. In the meantime, how do I clear the information in the other phone number fields since I will now only have to use 301? How about clearing other fields that are I may have programmed and no do not require? Do not want to do a complete reset. Under any circumstances can there a "handshake" required to stop dialling multiple times if I wished to call several times or additional numbers to ensure alarm was received. Of course if it were actually dialling a pager this would not be possible. I am not clear why the pauses are required since nothing should be sent until the phone is answered and currently all that works? What should be heard at the receiving end?ThanksBob

The pauses could be (for non-pager notifications) intended to allow you to pick up the phone, or the voicemail to speak its piece, before the code numbers are delivered.

For non-pager use, the code numbers could be just like this, for instance:

[pause] 5

or

[pause] 5 [pause] 5

and so forth, so that you could count the tones of '5' (or other number) to tell what condition/code you were being notified of.

This is my idea, and may be imperfect or unworkable depending upon circumstances. It's just a suggestion for pager use.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Trying to digest your info.1) In your first response you stated, "Or one of these status codes". No status codes were included. Did you intend to include them? I can't seem to find a reference to "status codes" in manuals or your attachment. Are they also called something else? Can you give me an example or further explanation?
2) With reference to HEX digit pause, is *55555* a ten second pause or is it *5*5*5*5*5* or something else?
3) Your second response indicated inserting DTMF codes. Would the following format be an example of using 9 as the tone: *999999* and they would be inserted after the pauses referred to in 2) above? Can you explain and give layout of the entry after the phone number for a 10 second pause and a string of 9's as the code?Sorry to be so dense about this but I basically started from scratch with the programming of this device a few days ago and it is more than a little confusing…..at least to me….lol.Thanks, Bob

(1) "One of these status codes" was a reference to the document I included a link to.

It's fairly short. I thought that a reference to them would be understood - pardon me for being obscure.

(2) EEEEE

would be a 10-second pause, it appears.

(3) I was intending that if you wanted one phone # to indicate (condition 1) and the other configured phone # in your alarm system's memory to indicate (condition 2).

Or perhaps there are other ways of doing this. I am aware that there are several options.

To avoid confusion, settling what you want the system to do, first, then establishing how exactly that can be done, is one approach we could take.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2) Thanks, let's take one thing at a time....I am using an LED controller and I do not have an "E" key so cannot enter "EEEEE". It seems that in order to enter a pause of two seconds I have to enter *5* after the phone number, * indicates a HEX digit is to be entered, 5 indicates it is a two second pause, and the ending * indicates the HEX entry is finished. This should create a 2 second pause. As originally asked, " is *55555* a ten second pause or is it *5*5*5*5*5* or something else?
If I wanted a 10 second pause could you type out exactly what my entry would be after the phone number.

I'm not sure that '5' is at all equal to (Hexadecimal) E.

What LED controller are you entering things on ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Russ, we seem to be going in circles here. The very first line of my original question outlined that I have a "PC 5508Z LED 8 zone". Page 21 of the installation manual at 4.3 indicates E is 5. To enter 5 it is *5*.Before we continue can you outline your experience with this device as we seem to be confusing one another.Bob

I am sorry - I have no experience with that device, and do not recognize it.

I will Opt Out now, with apologies.