p0llinate, Technician
Experience:  Home security and home automation systems expert

Please recommend a dome camera: size: small, vari focal,

Customer Question

Please recommend a dome camera: size: small, vari focal, night vision, high resolution, mount on the exterior wall, price about $100, will digital camera work on analog DVR? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 month ago.

An analog dvr (most any dvr that is more than about 2 years old) will only accept an analog camera. As a general rule, anything with a "tvl" rating will work with an analog dvr, though depending on the specs of your dvr, it may not be able to handle the higher resolution cameras, even though they may display nicely, the recording capabilities of the camera may be limited.

Here is a model I'd suggest, which has a full dome and is vandal proof:

that also means it is not quite on the small footprint size,

if you want something smaller, you may have to forego the full dome, and just have the more compact dome shaped camera that is a bit more exposed, but will still be outdoor safe, and will also cost quite a bit less:

Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 month ago.

Hello Customer, just wanted to check in if you were able to try one of these cameras or if you need anymore help.