Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

My security system (Simon XT) is beeping every four hours

Customer Question

My security system (Simon XT) is beeping every four hours telling me that there is a system low battery. How can I stop this?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: We got it in March of 2011
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have been away from the house for 2 weeks. It was going on when I got back last night. I have been pressing status and disarm. I read the manual and could not figure out anything to do.
JA: Anything else you want the security expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Open the system box.

Locate the battery.

Identify it by its model # label or spec.s on the label for maker and model etc.

Get a new one, to match it (let me know the spec.s on the battery's label, and I will guide you to a good source to purchase one.)

Then after that, you put in the new battery, enter the code and press Off, enter the code and press Off again, and that should clear the error altogether I hope.

(The question is: maybe you will need the engineer code, or the installer code, for this Simon XT system, not just the user code. Do you have either of those?)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried to figure out how to open the system box but was unsuccessful. It appears that the box can only be opened from the bottom, but I could not get it open that way. I do not have the engineer code or the installer code. I do not think I have a user code unless that is the four-number code I use to arm and disarm. I have a password ***** I have never used. Is that what you mean by a user code?

Maybe the box has a key-lock? if so, do you have the key?

Do you have a contract for your Simon XT alarm system? if so, they may have the key, etc.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did not see a place for a key-lock and I do not have a key. My contract for the Simon XT alarm system is at home and I am at the office today, so I cannot check the contract now, but I do not believe that there is a key hole in my box.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

I think that examining your alarm system contract might be a good idea at this point... it may cover such maintenance items as replacement of battery, and the reset procedure accompanying it. If so, paying for the battery and doing that work might be a less preferable option.

Let me know, at your convenience and when you get home, and I will continue to advise you (or, close this case out, if we think it right at that time.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I called the person listed on my contract when I got home last night. He is sending a serviceman out. Thank you for suggesting that I check my contract. I appreciate your help.

I'm glad to hear that you found my advice useful and to-the-point.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

(If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.)