Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

My swann dvr keeps rebooting : about 5 days : Ive tried

Customer Question

My swann dvr keeps rebooting
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: about 5 days
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Ive tried turning off the power and restarting and erased the hard drive
JA: The security expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home-Security Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...swann dvr..."

Still, it would appear to be an internal hardware issue or more particularly a failing hard drive (least likely) and/or low or missing secondary B+ (most likely).

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

If a DIY is to be attempted, then proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done, depending on the model and should you venture to try):

• • test for the presence and consistency of the power supply's output voltages;
  • • check/replace the 3V Lithium memory battery;
  • • perform a hard reset;
  • • check / test externally the hard drive.

A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the unit be plugged in, turned on and therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.