Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My swann dvr keeps rebooting : about 5 days : Ive tried

Customer Question

My swann dvr keeps rebooting
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: about 5 days
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Ive tried turning off the power and restarting and erased the hard drive
JA: The security expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home-Security Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...swann dvr..."

Still, it would appear to be an internal hardware issue or more particularly a failing hard drive (least likely) and/or low or missing secondary B+ (most likely).

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

If a DIY is to be attempted, then proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done, depending on the model and should you venture to try):

• • test for the presence and consistency of the power supply's output voltages;
  • • check/replace the 3V Lithium memory battery;
  • • perform a hard reset;
  • • check / test externally the hard drive.

A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the unit be plugged in, turned on and therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.