Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

Pearl. My father-in-law has an Ademco 21ip and a message

Customer Question

Hey, Pearl. My father-in-law has an Ademco 21ip and a message keeps coming up "long range TX fault". It only shows up every now and then. Otherwise, all is well. Can we fix this?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Thanks.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing
JA: The security expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home-Security Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I suspect the error message was spelled somewhat differently.

The long range radio, in such alarms, is actually a sort of cellular phone module.

If the cover on that module is open, it can signal a fault.

If the cover is closed in that case, the fault should go away.

If the cover is always closed, then you may have a problem with the long range or cellular phone module, and there is either calling an alarm co. to get it fixed, or going into your alarm's settings and disabling 'Long Range Radio' on it, which will also get rid of the error.

Given that the error only comes up now and then, and is not constant... I would say you simply don't need to do much.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.