p0llinate, Technician
Experience:  Home security and home automation systems expert

I 't want to have to run cables to through the house and

Customer Question

I don't want to have to run cables to through the house and attic. Can I plug my systems into my laptop and use the laptops wirless connection to router?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Home-Security Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have a Swann pro series HD 720 system. I don't want to run cbales everywhere. Can I connect the system to my laptop and use the laptop's wireless connection to the router
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Home-Security Technician should know?
Customer: thats it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home-Security Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  p0llinate replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

While it would be theoretically possible to use a wifi connection on the laptop and bridge the ethernet connection on the laptop to the dvr, thi sis a bad idea.

It would be slow, it would be interrupted, the laptop would slow down, and the laptop would have to be on 24x7. You would also encounter problems with connecting to the dvr remotely.

If you can't get a hardwired connection to the dvr, then your best option is to use either a

powerline ethernet adapter:

or wifi bridge:

Best regards,

Do you need more help with this?