Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

Forgot my admin password that I set last year , but had no

Customer Question

forgot my admin password ***** I set last year , but had no need to go in dvr to look at video till now. Now I cant remember my password
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Home-Security Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: ok. thank you. I'm about to rip my hair out here. I think I ve done this before but I cant remember what I did
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Home-Security Technician should know?
Customer: is this a free service?\
JA: The Home-Security Technician's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home-Security Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Security Systems
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My question is how to reset my security dvr H.264 16ch because I forgot admin password ***** changed months ago?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The only way to reset a DVR (that is made with adequate security) password ***** the admin account in it, is to contact the company that is the maker of the DVR in question, and

1. prove to them that you are indeed the legal owner of the DVR in question, and

2. request that they access it over the internet, and reset the admin password ***** you.

The maker of the DVR will not do (2) without (1) - that keeps your DVR secure from malefactors - and the DVR will have to be connected to the internet (ultimately) for (2) to be done.

(The only other option might be, to try default passwords on it - and since you say you set your password, then it isn't a default password, so that's not an option in this case.)

I'm sorry to say, that really is the truth. The admin password ***** a DVR is rather like the access code to a safe: it's protected, you have to prove ownership to get it back, and the reason is: Security.

Thank you for asking your question here at and, good luck with it.