Eric Billings
Eric Billings, President
Experience:  I have over 35 years of alarm experience, the last 19 years helping folks over the phone and e-mail with their alarm issues. I have been a JA customer since 2011, enrolled as an expert 10/26/15.
58743995

I have an ADT Safewatch 3000 with a basic, non-alpha panel.

Customer Question

Hi! I have an ADT Safewatch 3000 with a basic, non-alpha panel. I have two related tasks I'd like to perform:
1) Alter an existing zone (interior door) to change the Zone Type to Monitor or No Alarm Response. I don't want the door to trigger an emergency response, but I do want to know if it's been opened. I also don't want to have to bypass it every time I leave the house if I want to leave it open.2) I bought a key fob which eventually stopped working and fell apart when I unscrewed the case to change the battery... and now they won't replace the key fob for free, will be charging me ~$300 overall to replace and set up on the system. I found instructions on how to set up the key fob myself, but the instructions use an alpha panel, not my basic one.So in general, it'd be great if I had some documentation that would tell me how to navigate my alarm system. I have the basics, but without much in the way of feedback from my panel, I'm seriously going at things blindly, would love to have a clearer idea of what bits of data I'm scrolling through and all.Can you help with specific instructions for my two tasks and with documentation? I'll later be pursuing an upgrade to the panel (myself), but would like to take care of these two items sooner than later.Thank you for any help you can provide!
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to JustAnswer!

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Here is the documentation:

http://www.adt.com/content/dam/adt-core/downloads/manuals/manual_Safewatch_Pro_3000.pdf

Do you have the master installer code available to carry out the tasks?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Pete.Thank you for your response. I do have the master code and all, and I do have the documentation above, but I'm a little paranoid about getting into the system, especially when my display panel shows and gives minimal feedback. Just needing a little human instruction and explanantion to make sure I'm doing things right for at least these two tasks: altering a zone type for a zone, then adding a key fob to my system.Is that something you can provide?Thanks again for your response.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

I will see if another expert can guide you through altering the system as it has been a while since I have altered one of these particular systems.

Pete.

Expert:  Eric Billings replied 6 months ago.

The user manual is not going to help you in your attempts to alter a zone type or adding a keyfob (assuming that the system is capable of keyfobs), the installer guide and (more likely than not) the installer code would be needed to perform those changes. The installation manual will also tell us if you can even do programming with your basic keypad, a lot of systems require an alpha keypad or even a special programming keypad or a specific tool. Unless it is a really low end system, alarms have a special installer code that is separate from your master user code. I have searched all the online sources I know of (including the ADT site) and cannot find an installer guide, do you happen to have that manual? If you find the manual I can certainly help, otherwise you need to go to ADT as their systems are proprietary, making it very difficult for the rest of the market. The unfortunate reality of the matter is that they have created their product to make it practically impossible for independent companies/technicians to work on their branded systems (safewatch series) without replacing the control system.

Just because it say's I am ready to be rated doesn't mean our conversation is over, it is merely an option. Please rate me when you feel it is appropriate (that's how we get paid), they say the conversation can continue after the rating but I think it is more appropriate for you to wait untill we near the end of the project.

Regards,