Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

We bought this house and the previous owners didn't remember

Customer Question

We bought this house and the previous owners didn't remember their code, Is There a way to reset the system
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Home-Security Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I want to be able to arm the system, but don't want to pay ADT $43.00 a month
JA: The Home-Security Technician's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: The system is a BHS-4000A
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Home-Security Technician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home-Security Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. It can be very hard to find the right code for this system. Honeywell Security may have had proprietorship over it previous to this, I think they inherited Brinks Security's stuff. Look for a manual, perhaps inside the system box, which might have the installer code for the system registered in it.There is no easy way to just 'reset' the system. It is a security system, after all.Generally the ones who installed it know the code, or set the installer master code upon first installation.In any notes inside the cover of the system box, the MC likely stands for Master Code. If you find such a code, be sure to disable the siren first, in case you hit a wrong number and the alarm goes off... and if there's a phone line connected to the alarm system, unplug that too in case it calls out a false alarm.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was hoping to reset the system somehow? BHS-4000A We have looked and no luck with any manuals or codes.
There is no way to reset it yourself, then.It's a *security* system, and is meant to not be easy to get into without the code the owner is supposed to have.Regrettably, it may be cheapest, as well as easiest, to give up on the system as a loss, and buy a newer security system, preferably one with cameras instead of an alarm. Criminals do not like cameras, and they, plus a yard sign, will be a good deterrent.