Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

My sentry safe wont open, its an electronic sentry safe

Customer Question

my sentry safe wont open
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Home-Security Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: its an electronic sentry safe sf123
JA: Anything else I can tell the Home-Security Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: the electronic lock is dead and new batteries didn't do anything
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Home-Security Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: keypad is just blank and doesn't light up
Category: Home Security Systems
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Safe batteries going dead tend to be a real pain to deal with.

In the case of some Sentry safes, there is a keylock on the safe also. (It might be under a protective sliding hatch or cover, to keep dust and dirt out of the works.) That is for the emergency key, which can open the safe in a case like this, when the combination has been lost or forgotten, or the batteries have died.

Do you see any keylock on the safe, or know of any key for it?

As for the new batteries not making it work... be sure the old batteries did not corrode the metal terminals in the battery compartment and turn them brown. If so, new batteries won't work, until the terminals have been cleaned up to the point where they are silvery/metallic again, using cotton waste and a little rubbing alcohol to moisten it with.

And be sure the batteries are in with the correct orientation. They won't do any good if put in with the wrong orientation, + end and - end -wise.