Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

Having problems with remote access to cameras via iPad app.

Customer Question

Having problems with remote access to cameras via iPad app. Need to know what ports to open up as can't get the company that set up the system to come back out - have been calling them for 3 months. Have HRGX45 system. Have Motorola NVG589 Uverse router. Ports listed on DVR are: Server: 8000 HTTP: 8001 RTSP: 8002. hrgDDNS is enabled. Using IP/domain on wifi, I can access pictures from all 3 cameras at once. Using hrgDDNS mode I can not. At first I couldn't even get it to connect. But after opening ports 8000 and associating the DVR to it, I can now connect. However, when I select Start Live View - I get an error for each camera that says Camera xx [Connection Failed]. Occasionally 1 camera will display - but the other two say camera xx [Connection Failed]. Have I opened the right ports and is it correct to assign them to TCP/UDP??
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

HI Mary,

Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

The default HTTP port setting is 8001. You can check the port setting by logging on to the DVR and going to Menu > Settings > Network > General.

To access remotely, type the IP address and HTTP port of the DVR in the browser’s address bar, with the HTTP port separated from the IP address by a colon, and then press Enter. For example, if the IP address of the DVR is and the HTTP port is 8001, you would type in the address bar.