Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

I replaced the battery in an MCT-302n detector and now have

Customer Question

I replaced the battery in an MCT-302n detector and now have a permanent tamper alarm and cannot arm the system. The system doesn't now accept my user/installer code. What can I do?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Home-Security Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have a powermax+ I had a low battery alarm on an MCT-302n detector. I replaced the battery but didn't hold down the tamper alarm switch. I now have a permanent tamper alarm, so cannot activate the system and get constant bleeps. I cannot access the system it doesn't accept my user/installer code.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Home-Security Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: Our top Home-Security Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Home-Security Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Home-Security Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Who originally installed the alarm system?

The user and installer codes are usually different, and you will need to enter the installer code to reset the tamper alarm...

Do you have a note of the installer code?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My son installed and has now given me the user code as well as the installer code so I can now get in the system, how do I reset the tamper alarm is now the question
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

What is the model number of your alarm system?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the alarm system is a Visonic Powermax +, there don't appear to be any other identifiers
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

The tamper alarm should reset once you enter the installer code.

If it does not, then the cover may not have been put correctly back on to the detector.

Check the detector again, then try resetting the alarm by entering the installer code again.

If that doesn't work, you should be able to press Show/OK on the Visonic control panel to get some fault code(s) displayed - let me know what they are if they don't clear.