p0llinate
p0llinate, Technician
Experience:  Home security and home automation systems expert
59725966

We recently moved into a house with existing DSC1555

Customer Question

We recently moved into a house with existing DSC1555 security system panel. We are not currently using the system, but every few days it starts making a chirping sound every 10 seconds. We press the * button and it stops, but we go through this 3 or 4 times over an hour or two until it finally quits. The trouble lights that come on when we press *2 are "Telephone Line Trouble" and "Failure to Communicate." We do not have a land line. Is there anything we can do ourselves to make this stop?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The home is about 15 years old and this is the original system. The "Ready" and "System" lights are on all the time, but otherwise it makes no sounds except this chirping every few weeks. It is not being monitored by a security service at this time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electronics Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  p0llinate replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This issue is coming from either a failing backup battery or a connectivity issue. To get rid of the message the system would need to be put fully back into service.

If you are not using the system, it should be taken out of service, meaning to disable it completely. It can always be restored later, if desired.

Locate the main panel, which will be a metal enclosure about 1'x2'. Open that up and inside you'll see a small cube shaped battery. Disconnect the 2 wires from it.

Then locate the power supply, which is just a big all transformer/plug, that will be plugged into a nearby outlet. You may need a screwdriver to release it. With the battery and power supply disconnected, the system will fully shut down and stop beeping.

Best regards,