Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I am remodeling and had to disconnect the downstairs keypad

Customer Question

I am remodeling and had to disconnect the downstairs keypad for several days. The system still functioned as far as the door chimes. The main panel is located inside my closet and is plugged into a GFI which is functioning. The adapter feels warm, however. There is no power to the system at all now. There is a battery located inside the panel. The system was installed in 2000 and the model name is ***** *****
Category: Home Security Systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured it out without your help
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. Please let me know if there as any additional information that you feel might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

It is possible, if you had to remove power, that the battery for the system has run flat. I would suggest disconnecting the battery and observe the result. It should at the very least give you a battery alarm. Also, be sure to check the circuit breaker for that outlet. Even with the GFI working, the main circuit could be tripped.