Eric Billings
Eric Billings, President
Experience:  I have over 35 years of alarm experience, the last 19 years helping folks over the phone and e-mail with their alarm issues. I have been a JA customer since 2011, enrolled as an expert 10/26/15.
58743995

I purchased a home with a Vista 20SE which I am having

Customer Question

Customer: Hi ***** *****. I purchased a home with a Vista 20SE which I am having trouble programming. It has a 4219 expander module and two keypads. I replaced the keypads with a 6150 and 6160, the latter so I can program. I reset the system to factory default, and I am trying to follow the programming guide for the vista-20p/psia, but there are steps in the guide that are missing when I program. First, I don't get the set to confirm first step. Second, the hardware type step is missing for zones 1-8. Third, zone 9 only allows me to set report code, and then it goes directly to zone 92. It does not allow me to enter zone 10 or above. The zone expander used to work prior to reset. The dips were set to address 01. I changed it 07, powered up and no change. Same when I tried address 00. A couple of other strange behaviors: 1. when I change the keypad address to 16, it ceases to work. It only appears to work as 31. 2. The default master code 1234 does not work. I can only set the alarm with the installer code 4112. Does the vista-20SE work different than the 20P? Appreciate any help you can provide. I am at my ends with this...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about all of it. All of the zones have EOL
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Security Systems Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Eric Billings replied 11 months ago.

The panels are similar but not identical, especially the addressing. I suggest you set the dip switches back to where they were and follow the guide I have attached. You should be OK if you address everything correctly, including the keypads, both will need to be 31. I would recommend that you try defaulting it again (*97) and reprogramming it from scratch again.

Just because it say's I am ready to be rated doesn't mean our conversation is over, it is merely an option. Please rate me when you feel it is appropriate (that's how we get paid), they say the conversation can continue after the rating but I think it is more appropriate for you to wait until we near the end of the project.

Regards,

The program sheet is the next attachment.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. I found the 20PSE manuals right after I sent my question to you and replied to your initial email to disregard my question. I was able to quickly program with the correct manual.

Bummer for me, guess that means I don't get paid for my time. I'm very glad you were able to find a solution though. You were initially talking with a computer before I got involved, I'd guess that the system didn't delete your post when you e-mailed back to cancel.

Win some, loose some I suppose. :)

Regards,