Eric Billings
Eric Billings, President
Experience:  I have over 35 years of alarm experience, the last 19 years helping folks over the phone and e-mail with their alarm issues. I have been a JA customer since 2011, enrolled as an expert 10/26/15.
58743995

I have an Ademco VS10 security system with a 5881L board

Customer Question

Customer: I have an Ademco VS10 security system with a 5881L board installed. The old homeowners left it and I never paid any attention to it till it saved me twice by informing me about gas leaks and smoke. The first time it sounded, I was afraid of the loud siren so we bypassed Zone 5 and cold see it had been bypassed. But even with the bypass, when gas leaks happened later on, the [panel itself did emit beeps which is how I got alerted and that is just what I wanted - no loud sirens, thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: [Sorry hit Enter key too soon, did not realize it would send you everything prematurely]I recently reset the whole thing after finding the key to the control box(which is how I found it was a VS10 system). I set the master code just fine. I also took the time to feed my own phone numbers to the system using *41 and *42. These are my functioning phone numbers. I also got my landline working by hooking another cellphone using Bluetooth to the landline socket in another room of my house and verifying that by doing so, all sockets of landlines in my home were getting a working signal and I could dial out. I also removed any calling delays of 15 seconds. My issues are the following - first of all, after the reset, I can no longer bypass Zone 5. It seems it is By Design but I do recall I was able to do it just fine before the reset. Secondly I am still getting the FC error even though I have changed the phone numbers and verified that outgoing calls go just fine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Security Systems Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait for a few days very easily - no urgency here. I also do not mind paying $18 as long as it does not become $38 tomorrow ;-) or some other weird number. I can pay right away but I may not be able to respond at work with this computer so can you give me some mutually agreeable time when we can talk again. I can pay the $18 right away if you want.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Sure, go ahead please.
Category: Home Security Systems
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My keypad is N5976V1. Also I have checked many times that none of the two phone numbers was called. Lastly here are the steps how I am testing to make the FC error happen:1. ARM the system MAX by pressing +4 [I know in real life I should not use Master Code for day to day usage but I just find it easier than creating another user code>
2. Wait for a minute to elapse so that ARM-ing is effective.
3. Walk in front of motion sensor in Zone 4 - Siren starts sounding immediately.
4. Go press 1 to stop the Siren from sounding.
5. You observe the Zone 04 flashing on the keypad screen with the words Alarm.
6. Clear it by using +1 and FC appears.There is no way to clear the FC as far as I can tell. Of course my issue is not clearing FC but making it dial.
Expert:  Eric Billings replied 11 months ago.

Your FC display is because the system is not communicating with a central station computer. If your issue is not the FC but just to make it dial, I am wondering who are you trying to call with it? Are you somehow trying to utilize a cell phone to dial out? If so, I sorry to say it won't work; it will only dial out on a POTS line (Plain Old Telephone Service). When you say you reset the whole thing does that mean that you defaulted the system with the *97 command?, (not something I would recommend without copying the entire program first).

Regards,

I am leaving the office for a while, I will check back later today.

I'm in my office most of the day today if you need further help.

Just because it say's I am ready to be rated doesn't mean our conversation is over, it is merely an option. Please rate me when you feel it is appropriate (that's how we get paid), they say the conversation can continue after the rating but I think it is more appropriate for you to wait until we near the end of the project.

Regards,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello there - How long do I have before my case gets closed? I need some time to try out or confirm the things you asked me so it would be helpful for me to know the deadline. Also could you please also comment on the part about Zone 05 no longer being bypassable - or are you waiting for my reply before you comment on that?

Hi again,

Thanks much for getting back to me. I think you have quite some time to finalize the case, I had one client I corresponded with for over a week because his time was very limited.

Sorry that I didn't comment on the zone 5 issue, I thought that was secondary. If zone 5 is designated as a 24 hour zone you shouldn't be able to bypass it (zone type codes 5-9). I'm not sure but you could have merely silenced it the first time that you had an issue and the second time may have been merely a trouble re-sounder (a conclusion due not knowing the time frames of the activations). But you said that you could see zone 5 was bypassed, was this before or after the control panel was "reset". No disrespect intended but it sounds like you are learning as you go, are you sure that zone 5 is the CO detector? If you did reset the panel via the *97 command, zone 5 becomes a fire zone when it could have been anything, during the initial installation most installers will customize the zones as it makes sense to them (usually grouping the burglary zones first usually, starting at the front door, then the 24 hour protection {like the smoke detectors, CO detectors and flood detectors}). When these systems have a lot of activity it can display multiple areas that have had activations, a good way to see what it is doing now is to turn it off twice in a row. The display would then accurately display only what is going on currently.

No hurry getting back to me, I check in at least once a day. Could you tell me how you reset the control panel?

Regards,