Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Need advise on CCTV cameras and NVR's. So I have been

Customer Question

Need advise on CCTV cameras and NVR's. So I have been playing around with different ip cameras in the $150 range with a fixed lens and find that the picture is decent. I would like to know how much more I'd have to spend to get better quality compared to the average $150-$200 ip camera with fixed lens. Give specific make/models for fixed and ptz cameras. Also, how are the $200 ip cameras different from the much more expensive cameras in the dark.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The right answer to your question depends heavily upon what you consider an 'average' $150-$200 fixed-lens IP camera. Please cite at least one example

Also, the answer would depend upon what you call 'Quality' in a NVR IP camera. Do you mean Mpx count (more detail), or ability to see in dim light or in the dark? or faster (higher frame-rate) video ?

$ 200 IP cameras may differ from more expensive IP cameras in the dark, in either being more grainy (less detail in dim lighting), or other qualities such as being able to see not as far into dark corners, or just plain not see as far in the dark.

A comment: I have been consulted on a case where incriminating photos were obtained in a warehouse in dim light. The graininess meant that though faces were visible, they were not very identifiable, kind of generic-looking. A better dim-light or night-vision camera for security and monitoring, will have less of a grainy look in its dim-light or night-vision capability.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Russell look at link below for example

http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2132-I-Fixed-Focal-Camera/dp/B00EJXK0I6

Thank you for the example. Again, what would you call 'Quality' in an NVR IP camera? Do you mean Mpx count (more detail), or ability to see in dim light or in the dark? or faster (higher frame-rate) video ? or something else?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When I say quality I mean having good picture quaility in both the dark and light conditions.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that of the most part all ip cameras in $150-$700 which claim to be 1920x1080 in 2mp and can go to 3mp are all pretty much the same picture quality.

The picture quality in this case is reviewed as quite good. But not in specific terms as to night-vision circumstances.

The fixed-focus lens means that in night-vision circumstances, the focus on more distant objects won't be as good, for sure. In other words, the night-vision capabilities at extreme range or greater distances, will not be as good as cameras with adaptive focusing. But if you don't care about extremely distant objects, at night, being clearly-enough visible or having discernible meaningful details at the limits of distant range, then the larger-priced cameras will not seem to you to have any important differences to justify the greater price.

The camera you cited as an example comes highly reviewed enough, even if you ignore the obviously boilerplate language handed out with it (that is repeated everywhere, a dead giveaway that it is dictated language and description).

(I must apologize for having taken so long to produce this opinion. New Years' Eve delayed by doing this research and delivering this opinion.)