Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a security system DVR from an old Verizon store that

Customer Question

Customer: I have a security system DVR from an old Verizon store that went out of business. The only markings on the DVR are on the front panel and says. DVR/DVS ....... I don't have the former password ***** was trying to reset it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: System works fine but I can't access anything due to not having a password ***** record,,,,play etc..... it just shows the cameras live to my monitor
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Security Systems Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

We would have to determine the maker and model # ***** the DVR, in order to get anything from it, I think.

Look on the underside for a manufacturer's label with the maker and the model # ***** it.

It might be on the back side of the device, also.

If all else fails, try a default passcode like

0000

or

00000

or

1111

or

11111

or

1234

or

12345

and see if it is set to any of those.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Russell,
None of the above passwords work. I was able to contact the company that originally sold the unit to the Verizon store we took the unit out of. The security company said the unit was from HikVision. I did inspect the whole unit and besides "DVR/DVS" on the front cover of the unit there are no other markings to indicate brand or model. Any thoughts ?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Did you look on the back side, or the underside, of the device?

The manufacturer's label is often there. If it is not there, your device may be fly-by-night originated (since *any* electronics equipment really does have a label identifying it, usually with serial number as well as maker and model number.)