Eric Billings
Eric Billings, President
Experience:  I have over 35 years of alarm experience, the last 19 years helping folks over the phone and e-mail with their alarm issues. I have been a JA customer since 2011, enrolled as an expert 10/26/15.
58743995

I would like to add a few more motion sensors to my existing

Customer Question

I would like to add a few more motion sensors to my existing alarm system which has real time monitoring. Would like a recommendation of what sensor to get and how to tap it into the existing sensors?
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Eric Billings replied 1 year ago.

Hello Johnny,

Not knowing what you have currently in place I would highly recommend that you stick with a dual technology detector (passive infra-red and microwave combo) as that will allow you more leeway as to the placement of the detector, placement is critical to avoiding false alarms. Bosch’s Blue Line would be my first recommendation, a very popular choice among us professionals, Honeywell is another trusted brand, the Intellisence line wasn’t all that great though.

You will need to run 22 gauge 4 conductor wire to each new device, if you can’t run the wire all the way back to the panel you will need to get the wire to the nearest current motion detector so the you can parallel the power wires and series into the initiating circuit.

Try the amazon link below for some options, the Bosch ISC-PDL1-W18G is a good choice because it has 2 ranges to choose from, a 60’x80’ and a 25’x33’

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_15?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=dual+motion+detector&sprefix=dual+motion+det%2Caps%2C205

Please feel free to ask any more questions, otherwise please rate me accordingly, (that's how we experts get paid).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you recommend something is the $20 range?

On the amazon page I sent you to I would look toward the Napco C100STE as they are a known professional brand as well. You may also check Ebay, I found the same Napco unit a little cheaper and sometimes you can find lease return units, usually leased units are still in good working condition (if they are used and not lease returns you have to wonder why the unit was removed). I see there are a lot of generic units on Ebay also, look like cheap China knockoffs (avoid those).

I hope that helps,