Neil, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience in the alarm industry.
15873252

Neil. The tamper alarm keeps going off on my 500r alarm. The

Customer Question

Hello Neil. The tamper alarm keeps going off on my 500r alarm. The alarm has gone off 100 times this afternoon and is showing no signs of stopping even when entering the code and pressing reset. Are you able to help please?
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Has the alarm been opened or tampered with in any way? The tamper switch inside the control panel may not be activated correctly.

Try entering the engineer code (default 7890) and open the control panel cover to check the tamper switch.

Replace the cover and enter 99 to exit engineer mode.

Let me know if that resolves the tamper alarm problem...

Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been asked if the tamper switch inside is activated properly but when I open the box, there is just circuitry and I'm not sure where the switch is. I'd appreciate a bit of direction as I have no clue what I'm looking at! Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi PeteI'll do that. Where is the tamper switch inside?Kate
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kate,

There is normally a spring that activates the tamper switch - look for a spring in one corner of the panel.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If the spring is fitted correctly and is being pressed in when the cover is on, then the problem may actually be a low battery - when the battery gets low, the panel will sometimes warn you with a 'tamper' alert.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah it's a spring! The spring looks fine to me and is pressing in when the cover is on. The battery was only changed 18 months ago so it will be annoying if it's that. We don't want the alarm anymore as we haven't used it for years. Is there a way of deactivating it permanently so we don't keep having this problem?
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

9 times out of 10 it is not the control box tamper, rather its the external siren box tamper that goes intermittent..

To isolate the system for now remove the battery out of the control box then unplug the power connection... It may be a plug pack or the power may be hard wired int the control box and there will be a fuse to remove near where the power cable comes in...