Eric Billings
Eric Billings, President
Experience:  I have over 35 years of alarm experience, the last 19 years helping folks over the phone and e-mail with their alarm issues. I have been a JA customer since 2011, enrolled as an expert 10/26/15.
58743995

I have a vista- 32FB. I have a Ademco 4208U expander

Customer Question

I have a vista- 32FB. I have a Ademco 4208U expander connected with two fire zones and System Sensor 2WT-B smoke detectors on the expander.
The fire zones and smoke detector zones on the 32-FB work alright. The smoke detectors on the expander cannot be tested with the switch on the detector.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank You, ***** ***** , J.P. Electric, Bethlehem, N.H.
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Are the 2WT-B detectors connected by a cable, or by a wireless link?

If by a wireless link, double-check the configuration, which can be quite critical, and also double-check whether the distance between detectors and expander is too great in terms of the thickness of the walls or bulky objects between them (which can diminish the working distance for wireless links greatly.)

If by a wired link, double-check the wiring. Examine the cables along their entire lengths for any sign of stress or damage.

IF you need to actually test whether the smoke detectors work, there is a spray sold for that, you just spray a little into the detector and it goes off briefly.

Expert:  Eric Billings replied 1 year ago.

Jim, The 4208U is not capable of powering the 2WT-B 2 wire smoke detectors like the main control panel does, you need a 4209U 4 zone expander for that purpose. Your 4208U is an 8 zone unit, you should be able to use it as well for any other non loop powered devices, please make sure that you track the zoning. If you are going to keep the 4208U for other devices you will need to program the new 4209U as zones 17-20 (assuming your system only has the 1 zone expander now (dip switches 1,2,5 on)). Your other option is to run power wires to these smoke detector locations and replace with 4 wire smoke detectors.

Hope that helps,