Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My husband says we 'T have internet. Yet I've seen m playing

Customer Question

My husband says we DON'T have internet. Yet I've seen him playing on sons Xbox and using Ethernet cords all over our home. I knew something in garage was what some Ethernet cables were connected to. There's always been something up with our security light outside. As I've read, it can be even connected to that. I've had him lie about this internet thing before and I just know we have internet. How can I finally say.. Hey! Here it is!! And this is how u r doing it. He lies about everything. Sure it will be denied as everything always is. Can you please help. DG
How do you know if you have adt
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi DG,

Ethernet cords can be used for local networking, or for alarm systems and other uses, without actually connecting it to the internet.

To get an internet connection, he would need to have an account with an internet service provider, and also a way to connect to them - either by cable, dialup telephone line, or wireless.

So to prove that there is internet access, you would need to locate a cable or wireless device with an external internet connection, and also a bill showing that the service is active and being paid for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is that I know we have WiFi just unsure of what he is doing with router. Or if he using a phone line and I just being kept in the dark. Why do I not know this? He's very slick. Have a feeling he's using an in known provider so he knows that I definitely won't find out
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you know for sure that there is wifi then all you have to do is connect to it using a mobile device, cell phone, tablet, or laptop and that will prove that you have internet access.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did and my phone says WiFi available with four bars and he continued to say I'm just crazy and nuts. Wow. Who sees WiFi available and still denied it. He does. He says it's Wu's it's neighbors and WE don't have it. How else can I prove to him. If I show
him that I have it he just says I'm crazy. What's the password!? I always say..u tell me!? So annoyed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

You will know if it is at your house or at a neighbour's house if the signal strength gets higher or lower when you move closer to your neighbour's house. If the signal is stronger when you are at your own house, then the wifi access point is close by.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

You could also use wifi hotspot detector, similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016LG6WS